Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th/ 5th century vexillum
Apart from the Probus diptych of Honorius, are there any 4th/5th (or slightly later) centurydepictions of a vexillum in mosaic, illustration or statues that anyone knows about?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
From memory I can say really many pictures of it survived on coins-some better readable some less,other are visible on consular diptichs and Mosaics from Ravenna I Think.Also some are visible on re-drawings of once existing victory columns.
I have one depiction in my database of Late Roman Murals

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:I have one depiction in my database of Late Roman Murals

Evan, this is from the mid 3th c CE from Dura Europos. Wink
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Many thanks- any chance of pictures ?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I have terrible headache now but if nobody else done it sooner I give here some later.
[Image: 0louxor1el8.jpg]
Early 4th century from Luxior temple.

[Image: wo6v.jpg]
Labarum on a missorium from Valentinian I.
"O niurt Ambrois ri Frangc ocus Brethan Letha."
"By the strenght of Ambrosius, king of the Franks and the Armorican Bretons."
Lebor Bretnach, Irish manuscript of the Historia Brittonum.
[Image: 955d308995.jpg]
Agraes / Morcant map Conmail / Benjamin Franckaert
The Arch of Galerius could marginally apply as it depicts events that took place around 297 AD and was itself constructed a few years later into the 4th century. In all I have counted 9 draco standards, 8 vexilla and 2 eagles in the surviving reliefs.

Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Quote:Evan, this is from the mid 3th c CE from Dura Europos. Wink

It wasn't labelled, sorry.

@Agraes
Great Pics!
There is a coin of Vetranio which shows a soldier holding two identical vexillae/labara. They have spear tips, a chi-rho on the cloth and, interestingly, the staves are covered in phalerae like earlier standards.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Quote:[Image: wo6v.jpg]
Labarum on a missorium from Valentinian I.

I just noticed this, but there are (surprisingly) recognizable patterns from the Notitia on that shield.

From left to right:
1, 2, 3, Emperor, 4, 5, 6

1. Possibilities:
-Equites Honoriani Taifali Iuniores
-Equites Marcomanni
-Equites Certrati Iuniores
-Equites Honoriani Iuniores (IMO Most Likely because of the possibility of the Seniores also being on this piece)

2. Possibilities:
-Constantini Dafnenses

3. Indiscernable

4. Possibilities (This one is difficult, i should note, but it barely looks like two animals with their paws facing the boss):
-Equites Honoriani Seniores (IMO Most Likely because of the possibility of the Iuniores also being on this piece)
-Equites Mauri Feroces

5. There are a lot of possibilities:
-Lanciarii Seniores
-Lanciarii Iuniores
-Secunda Flavia Gemina
-Britones Seniores
-Septimani Iuniores
-Lanciarii Honoriani Gallicani

6. Possibilities (Based on that the double-neck begins below the boss and not at the boss):
-Honoriani Atecotti Iuniores
-Defensores
-Sagittarii Dominici
Evan you just done what I always want to do but never took the time to try it identify with designs from ND.Also this is one of those pieces that gives credibility to Notitia Dignitatum showing that it is indeed originaly document from late roman times official or not but really late Roman.And helmet on the ground seems to be Intercisa type with metal crest.
Few late Roman coins showing vexilum but there is much much more of it so you should search for yourself.I will later post other pictures from outside of coins.

Quote:there are (surprisingly) recognizable patterns from the Notitia on that shield.

Perhaps. The shield on the left, for example, shows a very recognisable curling 'dragon' design. Several of these appear in the ND, as you've mentioned. However, all of them (I think) are cavalry regiments. The figure here is presumably an infantryman, based on the size of his shield. Since the ND has no elite infantry units using this design - and the missorium dates from approximately the same period - we have to ask whether the missorium itself or the copy of ND that has come down to us is at fault...

The two central shields are unidentifiable, I think. The one on the far right is pretty clearly one of those 'facing animal heads' designs used by the Cornuti and others. The other two are radiate designs similar to several possibilities.

My guess would be that these shield designs denote particular units of the imperial guard at that point - perhaps selected auxilia palatina regiments. The designs prove that the overall look of the ND shields is correct, using the same sort of iconography at least - but whether the use of these symbols in the manuscript is accurate or not still remains unclear.
Nathan Ross
Beside those already posted(Im dealing quite intimately with Galerius arch now)First is from the Arch of Constatine,second from around half of 4th century and third is redrawn from piedestal of Arcadius column.All others are of 6th century date or very late 5th.