Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caligae Leather Sewing Question
I hate to trouble anyone with such an elementary question, but the directions I have for sewing caligae call for waxed linen thread. Can anyone give me any recommendations on what size thread to use or even a decent brand. Keep in mind that where leather work is concerned I am a complete amateur. Any recommendations or tips are appreciated. I will be using the old pattern from the LegioXX site and the fine pictorial instructions from the Legio XXX cohort 2 yahoo site. Than you. <p></p><i></i>
You're suppose to use linen waxed thread, but I just use artificial waxed thread sold at Micheal's craft stores. Once you've oiled the leather and particularly after you've worn your caligae for a bit no one will be able to tell the difference. Waxed thread for sewing leather is thicker than regular sewing thread. It's also nice to have as block of bees wax on hand to use on the thread ends. <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
<br>
If you have access to a leather store, they probably only stock one thickness of linen thread. But it might be available either waxed or unwaxed, and in natural, brown, or black. I use the waxed natural usually, though brown isn't out of the question. And I always have a chunk of wax handy (stored on the point of my awl to avoid getting poked!) to re-wax the thread repeatedly as I sew.<br>
<br>
Lately, though, I've been getting my thread at craft stores like Total Crafts, Jo-Ann's, or Michael's. It's in the beading section.<br>
<br>
Oh, the Legio XX page on Leatherworking might help,<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx/leather.html<br>
<br>
If you use that old caligae pattern, be SURE to cut those rectangular holes with ROUNDED corners, not sharp and square as shown. Cuz those sharp corners create a perfect weak spot which is almost guaranteed to tear out. Quickly.<br>
<br>
Happy stitching! Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I plan on using the old pattern but with the new style rounded cutouts. I've heard some people have had problems with the new style pattern, in particular where the back seam meets the soles. <p></p><i></i>
I think that the problem with the "new pattern", though it is an actual tracing of a real caliga, no attempt had been made to compensate for the warping of the leather after lying within the earth for 2000 years. No one has feet with toes pointing at such a distorted angle. Also, there is too much material on the inside of the heal. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>no attempt had been made to compensate for the warping of the leather after lying within the earth for 2000 years<hr><br>
Yes, I've had that problem too with excess at the heal. When I modified the pattern to reflect my foot, All pairs I have made since then seem to fit perfectly. <p></p><i></i>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I hate to trouble anyone with such an elementary question<hr><br>
This forum was created for questions, and to share the wealth of knowledge in the possession of its many users.<br>
<br>
to para-phrase an old Chinese quote, it is better to feel stupid for five minutes than to remain ignorant for the rest of your life.<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cingulum Belt sewing and leather colour Zarathustra 1 424 05-17-2021, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  A Question on Caligae Pointer 26 4,260 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  The leather strap or belt "keeper" question jkaler48 11 3,011 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Last Post: jkaler48