Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilt suggestions
Just for fun,anyone have an opinion on a type of hilt that would go well on one of these?
[attachment=8701]fold.png[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Depends. Double Fullered Blades are most popular in the 3rd and 4th centuries, as shown by the Nydam finds, be fore they are slowly phased out in favor of single fullered blades in the 5th (there were some double fullered blades in the 5th though, but its a transitional time. There's also the Pouan blade which was Hexagonal, and didn't have a fuller.. a real fluke that one, I still think it's Hunnic and not Germanic like is usually suggested)

I'd reccomend the Cologne or a Nydam Hilt personally. Give me some time to look through the hilts section of the Mik's book, I'll find some good ones. I think my dad finally got the camera installed; if not I'll try and do it tonight.
I'm leaning towards something like some of the ones from Illerup or,maybe one of the *hour glass* types from Nydam. I only have the top one to play with,the bottom one belongs to someone else now.
Yeah I'd go for one of the Illerup/Nydam style hilts too.
The trick is,to decide which one :grin: Robert's going to come along and,tell me to hurry up and,get my copy of Mik's book. Working on it Smile
I got Mik's last week and it is amazing. Overwhelming quantity of data. And too much German for my taste :wink:
Eduardo Vázquez
Nice blades! They would also work well with a late La Tene hilt!
Wouldn't a La Tene hilt be too early for these blades? Most blades in that era with a Double-Fuller are Roman (a surprisng number are Mainz Gladii...)

I'm tempted to buy that one off you though... I have the money, just gotta see how much is left over after I pay Rusty for my Helmet Crest and Calcei.
To me they look similar enough to these La Tene III blades found at Port:
[attachment=8702]LaTeneIIIpointedswords.jpg[/attachment]

Btw, where did you get these blades?
Hmmm hadn't thought about a La Tene type,the top one was a trade in for some hilt work on the second,where the customer got them,I have no idea other than,China. They are pretty decent,little on the heavy side but,not bad,
These blades look like the Lauriacum/Hromówka spatha, which is dated 2de half 2de century. So the Nydam hilts hour glass may be too late. Many of the bogfinds of the third century (Esjbol, Nydam, Vimose) show blades with no fullers, but with bandshaped cross sections. These blades are basicly flat with bevels to define the cutting edges.

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
These blades look like the Lauriacum/Hromówka spatha, which is dated 2de half 2de century. So the Nydam hilts with hour glass shape may be too late. Many of the bogfinds of the third century (Esjbol, Nydam, Vimose) show blades with no fullers, but with bandshaped cross sections. Many of these blades are basicly flat with bevels to define the cutting edges. A good hint to what kind of hilt they may have had is the length of the original tang. Some are so long it rules out the shorter hourglass shape and suggest a conventional grip with gaurd, grip and pommel.

Good for you, Dave! Should be a treat! :woot:

Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Deleted Double Post.
Think I may just go with the La Tene idea for this one,seems to fit the blade best and,haven't done one before.
The other one is getting a medeval hilt,that's what the man asked for :whistle: