Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foederati, Hospitalitas and Veterans
The following article discusses the Goths in Aquitaine in 5th century being resettled as veterans and not under foederati/hospitalitas arrangements.

On Foederati, Hospitalitas, and the Settlement of the Goths in A.D. 418 Hagith Sivan pp. 759-772 American Journal of Philiogy

Are there any other sources on this subject (excepting the references to the article which are nearly all the contemporary ones) on foreign troops being given veteran status and therefore veteran rights, or are the Goths of Aquitaine the only people to receive that status?

(excuse my ignorance but I am a first century AD person normally...Wink )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Both the Alans of Sambida (Sangiban) and Goar (Eochar) recieved Veteran status when settled by Aetius in 440 and 442.

BTW could you Email me that Article? I could really use it.
Herwig Wolfram “The Visigoths in Aquitaine" is a good paper regarding the settlement of the Goths in Aquitaine, I can email that to you in a day or 2 when I find it on my portable hard drive.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
It is available as an online read here:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/29...3252688247

You will need to register and log in to put it on your 'shelf'. You can have three articles at a time, I believe.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:Both the Alans of Sambida (Sangiban) and Goar (Eochar) recieved Veteran status when settled by Aetius in 440 and 442.

BTW could you Email me that Article? I could really use it.

Thanks Evan - have you got the source references by any chance.

You have a PM.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:It is available as an online read here:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/29...3252688247

You will need to register and log in to put it on your 'shelf'. You can have three articles at a time, I believe.

Thank you - that's the article I read .
Moi Watson

Gallic Chronicle of 452, not sure of the exact text though. Will try and find it.
Very interesting, thanks a lot!
Sergio

Historian.

Regnum Barbaricum

Barcino, Tarraconensis, Hispania.