Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning a Roman city to build in Minecraft
Hey everybody, I have been playing minecraft for a while and I wanted to start working on a Roman city, I got a large mostly flat surface to begin but I had a few questions on what to use and how to go about this, hopefully some people here have some info on cities and maybe even have done this before!
I am aware that materials used by the Romans changed a bit over it's lifespan, so to give a timeframe for the city to make life easier for everyone by not needing to list everything used from beginning to end, the timeframe will be 50 AD, and the city will be rather large.

A big thing for me is the walls, what shape did they normally make and did they change at all? I don't like the idea of a perfect square, but if that is authentic, I don't have qualms about making them so.

I was checking for sources on Roman cities and I came across a youtube video about how Romans made cities, they were made to function for a set number of people, and would not grow the city as the population grew, they would simply make another city, this video also said that Roman cities had four main roads leading to the center, making up the town center, where the forum, public buildings, and religious buildings would be, unfortunately I couldn't find any other sources describing these two topics so I can't say for certain if it is accurate,

I guess any help at all would be appreciated! Thanks in advance
Andrew S.
AD 50 for a Civitas.......best of luck, probably Colchester.
Kevin
Kevin
would those be types of cities?
Andrew S.
I was checking for sources on Roman cities and I came across a youtube video about how Romans made cities, they were made to function for a set number of people, and would not grow the city as the population grew, they would simply make another city, this video also said that Roman cities had four main roads leading to the center, making up the town center, where the forum, public buildings, and religious buildings would be, unfortunately I couldn't find any other sources describing these two topics so I can't say for certain if it is accurate,
waleedi, the Romans would not make a whole new city when the city was heavily populated. They would let the city expand. If the video was correct, then how would it explain the city of Rome? Rome grew many times and they had to make so many walls to contain the city as it kept on overflowing. The Romans would build new cities occasionally but the other cities continued growing too. They never built Rome II, so the point is disproven.
Regards, Jason
It is partially correct. The Romans built many of their cities for a set number of people (IIRC it was about 40,000) but knew the limitations of their infrastructure. They expanded many cities, but also continued to build new ones.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Minecraft Roman serious RP server - Bello Civili Scream92 2 5,605 12-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Reconstructing the Roman Empire in Minecraft! Flavivs Aetivs 0 2,943 05-30-2014, 01:01 AM
  Roman Minecraft! Flavivs Aetivs 5 3,964 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM