Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Started another Xiphos
Other swords with this type of hilt have the pommel part much more elaborate, which suggests that this part was not meant to be hidden. On the other hand, the separate pommels were secured by a square piece in the end of the grip that was much narrower than the grip itself. So we can clearly distinguish a typology with two different types of pommels.
Worth noting that when the pommel is meant to be conical, the tang under it is also conical. Also, when there is meant to be a separate pommel, there is also a nut, which is never the case with the wider pommel areas of the tang.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
True and,I suppose,the pommel could very well have had carved lines or designs on the surface to add contrast between the pommel *area* and,grip *are
[attachment=8653]007_2014-01-06-2.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I suppose it could. Often they had metal designs on the top of the pommel. So for instance one of Philip's sword had a small gold helmet with a sphynx on the top, which covered the nut that secured the pommel. A newlly found hellenistic sword again from macedonia had a stunning gold female head. Another one yet had a gold cross of palmettes, which were attached on one of the rings that encercled the pommel... The pommels themselves however were usually organic and thus their decoration has not survived. As far as i remember, there are more instances where the grip scales were carved rather than the pommel. The carvings are some times very elaborate and very thinly carved, and these would be the swords of kings and generals, especially since some of them come from statues.
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]