Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Started another Xiphos
A little different than the last,more *muscle* to the blade. The thin elegant ones are nice but,my personal favorites are more this.
[attachment=8619]002_2013-12-27.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice Job Dave,
Viruvius
Larry A. Mager
Thank you,if I can keep this one going the right direction I hope to take it a little further than the first. One hurdle I made for myself will be the pommel. The original I'm using as a guide has no *tang spike* for it so,will have to figure that out Smile
Very nice! Keep us updated!
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I've trimmed the tip a little,to bring the shape more in line with the original. Going to start the guards this evening,learned with the last,do this first Smile Made a *mockup* of the hilt,just to give myself a mental image.
[attachment=8641]007.JPG[/attachment]

Excellent! I disagree with how you design the pommel part, but it is very nice overall!
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Hi Giannis Smile ,
As I am learning from this thread as well, would You please tell us why You disagree with Dave about they way he designed the pommel part ? It looks to me like a lot of other pommel parts I have seen, including the "Infamous" Alexander mosaic at Pompeii.
Hope You all have had a pleasant, peaceful and Joyous Holiday Season so far.
Keep up the Good Work Dave,

Vitruvius....aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Would be interested in what you suggest myself,Giannis,the pommel on one with no *tang spike* is something I am not sure about (that's why it's only cardboard at the moment Wink ) I know of one or two finds that are done much like the pommels on a Naue II...
The pommel on this type of tang was one piece with the organic scales of the grip. This is attested both bt a lack of rivet to secure a seapate pommel and more importantlt by an original i have handled, which had rivets not only along the grip but also on the square piece of the pommel. The rivets on the pommel where longer than the ones on the grip, suggesting that the pommel was indeed one piece with the grip scales. In other words, in your mock up, the pommel should only be the smaller square in the end of the grip.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Ave, Y'all,
NOW it makes sense, and really surprises me that the Romans did not assemble their Parazoniums in the same way. Especially since if needed, doing so would have made said Parazoniums actually usable in an emergency instead of a show piece! I am beginning too think a riveted grip with no separate pommel nut is the way I wish to go on my Parazonium.
Salve to all,
Larry (Vitruvius)
Larry A. Mager
Ah,I see,the simple answer Smile I'm used to every item being over-complicated,just a *swell* at the end of the grip plate,that saves some trouble.
Thanks once again,Giannis!

[attachment=8651]007_2014-01-06.JPG[/attachment]

Yes, just like that! The one you're coppying actually doesn't have any rivets on the pommel area, the one i was reffering to, in the previous post had two rivets side by side.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Speaking of rivets,I've seen some that from photos,don't appear to have any rivets for the grip at all?
I can see how the guard was used to secure one end but,not sure how the rest was kept in position,glue?
Some pommels ARE shaped the way your mock up shows (tapered/conical cap), so I can imagine the base seated over the handle scale and the top rivited on with the nut at the top of the tang. If I remember the drawing of Giannis correctly, that is.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
That is what I thought to do first,make a hollow pommel piece that seated over the *swell* at the end of the grip then,run a pin or rivet through the pommel,grip plate and,tang.
Hmmm we'll see,I'll focus on what I know to do first,then I'll see what the customer wants to do.