Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman(?) archer from Loarre
Does anyone know the bas-relief of this archer in the medieval castle of Loarre (Spain)?

http://www.jpdugene.com/images/espagne/a...archer.jpg

The archer seems to be wearing a "lorica segmentata", a Roman helmet, roman shoes and carrying a quiver on his shoulder.
Despite all this, the artistic quality of the bas-relief does not seem to Roman times... :?
What do you think?

ciao,
emilio
It's not unusual for builders to use existing material when building a more modern construction. The wall around the Istanbul University in Beyzit Square being a prime example as it was quite plainly constructed using material from a variety of Roman sources as you can see bits of column and frieze's in the wall. The same goes for the Old Beyazit bath house which has most of the Column of Arcadius built into its foundations.

I would not be surprised to find out that the bit of stone with the archer on was salvaged from a Roman ruin and incorporated into the castle walls.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I agree with you VV, but I must agree that the Artistic style of the piece generally does not match the Roman style of the time. It could of course be a local variation.
It looks to me like modern decorative art (19th-20th century), made to look 'ancient'. Loarre castle was apparently renovated in 1913, and I wouldn't be surprised if this relief was added around then. Almost certainly not Roman anyway, I'd say.
Nathan Ross
If it is Roman I would say it is of such a unique style we would have heard an awful lot more about it.

I would argue the bow is a give away - wrong for the period - period!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
All three blade shapes are based on actual knives from the fortress finds. C would be the most common one for utility knives, but B (straight blade with a drop point) is a type much found with bronze handles. What is left of the blade suggests a B shaped blade, but somehow that just didn't look as nice as the alternatives. A is a distinct shape, but much, much less common then the other two. However, looking at the onset of the blade clearly angling down from the handle, I would say it was meant that way and is not an "oversharpened" C. That is a distinctive feature setting it apart from the C style blades.

On a sidenote, as far as I know, there is only one small "seax" ever found with this (B) shape, what in seax we call the broken back. Any larger broken back knife called a seax is artistic licence, only when the seax reaches sword length does the broken back shape come into it's own.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Agreed, it must have been an addition.
Here's a clearer photo:
http://www.amanita-photolibrary.co.uk/ph...castle.htm

Definitely not from the Roman era...

ciao,
emilio
Sadly no romans involved, or even aliens :mrgreen:

I have an answer from the castle, it was made some years ago by a keeper, and currently is not there.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.