Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rules for Latrunculi
Does anyone have any information on Latrunculi? With me looking around on the internet I have found that it is a lot like the Greek game Petteia and the is possibly the Viking game Hnefatafl is based off of. Most of the website I have come across appear to generally have the same set of rules:

1. Arrange pieces on opposite side of board with “king” in center
2. Black plays first.
3. All pieces may move any number of spaces in the horizontal or vertical direction.
4. A single stone is captured if it is surrounded on two opposite sides.
5. The outside walls cannot be used to capture men.
6. A stone in the corner can be captured by two stones placed across the corner.
7. Multiple stones can be captured along a line.
8. The “king” cannot be captured but can be immobilized by being surrounded on all four sides.
9. First player to immobilize the enemy king wins.
10. The king is immobilized if it is blocked by an enemy stone such that it has no place left to move.
11. If the game stalemates, the player with the most captured enemy stones wins.

Is the information I have correct?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
More or less, the game was one of the precursors to chess. Notice similarities like being unable to take the king, etc.

The capturing stones reminds me of Othello, also developed from this game I think.
Sounds like a fun game. I just did a quick search and it seems that there are relatively extensive rules for the game on Wikipedia, under two categories: one being "Bell's Rules" and the other being "Kowalski's rules". Might want to check that out if you haven't already.
The German WP claims that the director of a Swiss games museum was largely able to reconstruct the rules. He is listed under literature.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:More or less, the game was one of the precursors to chess. Notice similarities like being unable to take the king, etc.

The capturing stones reminds me of Othello, also developed from this game I think.
A better parallel may be Go, which predates Latrunculi as far as I know.

For the latter game, this chapter within the Stanway archaeological report is a great place to start: Ulrich Schädler discusses the game board and counters in the 'Doctor's burial' as well as games in the ancient world in general.

I'm not sure how strong any evidence is regarding actual rules. Some interpretive licence may be appropriate here!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latrunculi rosieglenn 1 1,241 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Julilla