Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating of Asclepiodotus
Anyone knows any paper that dates the treatise of Asclepiodotus with more precision than "1st century BC" or "after 46 BC"?
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
For a minute there I thought you meant the neoplatonist so I was like...well no, ca. 5th century A.D lol.

As for this one, it depends. We know with reasonable certainty that he was a student of Posidonios (lucky!) and that's a really good terminus. Generally speaking its hard to get closer than the generic date you've given unless the author a) deliberately mentions an event or b) the Greek/Latin is obvious - this can happen by century but seldom by decade.

That being said, these kinds of texts are full of rhetorical and literary devices and you can sort of establish a relative chronology based on that, but it will highly approximate. If, as is possible, this sort of book was written as a literary exercises/deliberate homage to an earlier model you would posit it to be midway throughout his career. We don't have enough work to make deliberate stylistic judgements though. Or rather, I don't know enough about this text.

See Philip A. Stadter's "The Ars Tactica of Arrian: Tradition and Originality" which basically discusses some of these issues, at the very least its a good argument for adopting the Roman reading method e.g reading related texts in a circle.
Jass