Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Romans/Greeks/Barbarian Scum use backpacks
As the title suggests. Did they have backpacks? Images and stuff would be much appreciated!!!
Lol barbarian scum... If only I had the tenacity to question the sexuality of every late roman reenactor as you do with insulting barbarians
I think it's more a case of: sacks; bundled cloaks; or rolled blankets. Damn useful things those.....

The 'backpack' is a 'relatively' modern invention, certainly in a military sense, linked more closely to the formation of state armies in the last 500 years or so and the desire for 'uniformity' and tidy troops to look at. Often very poor ergonomic designs that troops universally hated.

Even early webbing (British '37 and even '58 pattern, for example) from last century, is pretty damn awful when it comes to the 'backpack'!

PS - 'Scum' - that detritus that floats upon the wellspring of humanity. There's quite a lot of 'scum' out there, but the average barbarian isn't. Smile
I really can't recall any images or mentions of what we would call backpacks. There were these bundles on marching poles:

[Image: 154393.jpg]

In other contexts, there are many images of slaves or merchants carrying things on their shoulders.

[Image: Isis_Giminiana_fresco.jpg]

In many societies today the custom is to carry heavy burdens on the head. Although it might be hard on the neck, at least the person's centre of gravity doesn't change.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thanks Guys.

And don't worry, I have a lot of respect for your Barbarians out there Tongue.
I also have some respect for you barbarian scum...but sharp point of my sword have none :evil: !
This picture is a reproduction of a Neolithic pack found frozen with his owner in the Alps from around 5000 years ago.
[attachment=8527]9a68d8c8b7a11018e3bf5bd6bf27fa62.jpg[/attachment]

This picture is Egyptian from around 2300 BC
[attachment=8529]971c032fd30f3a93914bbf584fe7b79f.jpg[/attachment]

This picture is of a salt mining backpack from Hallstatt, Austria dating from 8-4th century BC.
[attachment=8528]HallstattBackpack.jpg[/attachment]

There are also several backpacks from the Medieval period as well that seem to be woven baskets with cloth/leather straps to go over the shoulders.

Why do we have no evidence of "backpacks" during the Roman period?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
In the Bode-Museum in Berlin there is a (if i remember correctly) 5th cent. marble sarcophagus with a sheepherder (?), who has a single strap backpack. The strap has a simple buckle on the chest. There's not much to see of the backpack. Seems to be round on the bottom like a simple sack. Closing method at the top cannot be seen. Maybe I can find the time to take a photo around christmas. Smile
jbd_29349 wrote:

This picture is a reproduction of a Neolithic pack found frozen with his owner in the Alps from around 5000 years ago.

Thank you jbd_29349 for the images, I only have a small clarification for the first one... :wink:
The backpack of Ötzi (also called Iceman, or the Similaun Man), like all the incredible group of tools and equipment found with him - including a copper axe - is dated, as you wrote, between 3300 and 3100 BC but we are already in the European Chalcolithic / Copper Age.

Best!
S.M.

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Finally:
Attached are photos from the Bode-Museum in Berlin showing a shepherd from ~270 AD with tunica manicata. Visible decoration: Maybe tablet-woven borders at the sleeves, similar to the Thorsberg Tunic. Also around his body a leather strap with buckle. On his back "something", thats most likely attached to the strap. Maybe his sagum/paenula rolled together or a backpack with food and more or a drinking-bag...
Backpacks/bags ( πηρα ) for sheepherders containing food and something to drink are also described in the cheesy teenager romance-novel "Daphnis and Chloe" (Book III, 3-4; late 2nd century or early 3rd).

Quote:I also have some respect for you barbarian scum...but sharp point of my sword have none :evil: !

Wait til my sword clobbers your dinky Roman head.

:-|

At least the Gauls wear trousers.

Edit: I'm guessing there are no backpacks sort of like a modern backpack. All those ancient backpacks look so painful to wear.
Ke Di (It means Cody, a literal translation.)

My video game footage archive on youtube. (Clearing some disk space) Mostly Total War Multiplayer.

http://youtube.com/user/BroskiDerpman
familiar question

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/56-beginner...-pack.html

regards
rr

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Backpacks Draconis 18 4,676 11-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Last Post: sendanor
  How did Greeks/Romans make spear/arrow shafts? Tempestvvv 7 3,632 10-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Crispianus