Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emperors Quiz
There are plenty of strange and unlikely stories about Roman emperors. Just for fun, I wonder if anyone can name all the emperors featured in the following anecdotes? Most, but not all, are from later centuries...

1. His death was foretold by the appearance of a multitude of owls on the walls of Rome.

2. He once cut the head off an ostrich and brandished it at members of the senate.

3. He ordered his troops to kill all the dogs in a city. The citizens were pleased.

4. He claimed to prefer growing cabbages to taking control of the empire.

5. During his reign, a man in Italy ate a box, a broom, seventy watermelons, a casket of sardines and a feathered fowl, and was still hungry.

6. He refused to rise and greet a bishop, until his chair miraculously caught fire and compelled him to do so.

7. He claimed that only women bathed in heated water, but enjoyed floating fruit in his swimming pool.

8. He once punished a pair of fornicating soldiers by sewing them up inside oxen with their heads sticking out, so they could 'converse'.

9. He was a poultry enthusiast, and named his favourite bird after the city of Rome.

10. He attended the games with a small-headed boy, to whom he would talk very seriously about matters of state.
Nathan Ross
Not sure about some of them but when you present the evidence like that they really so sound like a rum lot, don't they?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hmm. I can't do all, but I think I know a couple.

2) Commodus

4) Diocletian

9) Honorius
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Yeah 2 sounds like Commodus.
1. Maxentius
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
8. Macrinus
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
All correct so far - extra 'points' (for what it's worth!) if you can name the source...)

3, 5, 6, 7 and 10 still unknown... And yep, they are a rum lot, Moi!
Nathan Ross
6. Sounds like Theodosius - but that's just a guess.

I think the owls would have been related by Zosimus.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
The second to last on was western emperor honorius. I hear when Alaric sacked rome he hid with his chickens.
AVLVS GALERIVS PRISCVS-Charlie Broder
3. Aurelian (SHA, Divus Aurelianus 23.2-3).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:6. Sounds like Theodosius - but that's just a guess. I think the owls would have been related by Zosimus.

Not Theo, no - right sort of era though. But the owls are from Zosimus, and 3 is indeed Aurelian.

5, 6, 7 and 10 still unguessed...
Nathan Ross
'But I thought that my fowl Rome had perished.'

... as Epictetus wrote also I thought he was Honorius .... with all his favourite ... and the chickens or pigeons, a debauched! Big Grin
5. Severus Alexander (Chronographus anni CCCLIII, XVI.64-5 = Mommsen 1892, 147). Can't see a broom in the list, but I think this must be your man!
10. Domitian (Suet., Dom. 4.2).
Quote:5. Severus Alexander
10. Domitian (Suet., Dom. 4.2).

Yes! That leaves 6 and 7 - anybody?
Nathan Ross