Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eastern Romans 330-1461 AD
The Eastern Romans 330-1461 AD

[Image: 51hMKsHV7%2BL._SX342_.jpg]

I picked this up in a military book store as I'd not heard of it before and the illustrations are quite amazing, comprehensive, even if there seems to be a lot of conjecture/literal interpretations from art. has anyone seen this book before or know of a review that I'm missing?

"The Eastern Roman Empire is perhaps more commonly referred to as the Byzantine Empire. It describes the period in the Middle Ages when the Greek-speaking Roman Empire was centered on the city of Constantinople. Constantine I is regarded by many to be the first Byzantine emperor. The Byzantines took a distinctive route through history as at that time there was a growing schism between West and East Rome. This new book from Concord Publications covers, in comprehensive detail, the soldiers and military forces of the Eastern Romans. Written by an authoritative expert Dr. Raffaele D'Amato, this book delves deeply into the inner workings of the Eastern Roman Empire and how it impacted upon the military forces. Major battles and events are elaborated, providing coverage from the early days of the empire through to the fall of the capital, Constantinople, to the Ottoman Turks in 1453AD. The military splendor and magnificence of this period has been carefully captured in this work. The book features a great number of beautifully rendered color plates by Dr. Giorgio Albertini. These show soldiers or famous military leaders at important points in the history of the Byzantine Empire. These color plates are accompanied by highly detailed written descriptions of the relevant historical background, and they also explain about the weapons and uniforms in evidence in the illustrations. The author has taken great pains to provide an impressive level of information. This volume is thoroughly researched and jam-packed with invaluable information about the Byzantine army. As a result, this book is a vital reference source for any historian or ancient military enthusiast."
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Has D'Amato filled it with bogus examples of leather armour?
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Im actually surprised by the lack of leather armor, but somewhat shocked at the amount of attic helmets and a parade of attic/intercisa combination helmets with extended soldered on eyebrows similar too the ones of the easterlings in Lord of the rings and 16th century samurai helmets. I'd be happy to post pictures provided it wouldn't be breaking any forum rules.
I doubt it. Generally many images fall under copyright (Osprey comes to mind) but since only members can view the images I don't see a problem.
The pictures are plainly awful in my opinion. What are those pseudo-attic helmets (resembling somehow 2-3th c. AD cavalry helmets like the Theilenhofen helmet)? What are those Intercisa helmets with with whiskers / eyebrows soldered on the front? I am speaking about the 4-5th c. AD pictures. Can anyone show some evidence on these fanciful interpretations? Simply: why? There is so much evidence on real 4-5th c. roman helmets Sad ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Well it is classic D'amato but paintings by Giorgio Albertini are Beautiful-some based evidently slavishly on Roman artworks(like some features in triumphal entry Of Constantius II.to Rome but with some other I see no problem like scene from after the reconquest of Africa:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pavel's picture was the one that got too me, I'll post more pictures tonight on other offending images. I really dont know where a lot of the details came from and its a shame that there are genuinely good images lost amongst the bad ones.
Quote:The pictures are plainly awful in my opinion. What are those pseudo-attic helmets (resembling somehow 2-3th c. AD cavalry helmets like the Theilenhofen helmet)? What are those Intercisa helmets with with whiskers / eyebrows soldered on the front? I am speaking about the 4-5th c. AD pictures. Can anyone show some evidence on these fanciful interpretations? Simply: why? There is so much evidence on real 4-5th c. roman helmets Sad ...

The whiskers/eyebrows helemts are D'Amato's take on the helmets of the Cornuti as seen on the Arch of Constantine. Rafaelle is also a member here, you could PM him. In fact i believe we discussed this with him years ago. Technically he's right, but it's clear that no actual remains have ever turned up to support that.
Personally I have many doubts, both about the 'Attic' helmet as well as the 'horns' or whatever on top of them.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)