Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justinian Roman helmet / long mail hauberk
He's wearing chainmail in that image I think.
This is the picture of the Justinian cavalryman with the long mail hauberk. My questions concerning
the armor has to do with this image.

The other image has to do with my question concerning the details of the book.
Thanks

Etruschi

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Philip van Geystelen
The long armour is supported by the Strategikon, but I would loose the eye-mask helmet. The Strategikon also mentions mail hoods. Personally, I cannot evisage a mail hood being worn with a helmet having cheekpieces.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Andreas,

Many thanks- superb paintings. Please post more!
Cheers

Paul
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I'm a little late to the discussion

Long armours, both maille and lamellar, are depicted at Panjakent (6th - 8th C). Lamellar is depicted at Ustrushana and Khotan, which are dated to the same period. These armours probably reach below the knee, perhaps mid-calf. Sogdian maille has 3/4 sleeves.

Long armour is a typically East Iranian or Central Asian fashion and was used there long before maille reached the area (in the form of scale or lamellar). In contrast, Western Iranian fashions typically involved armour that ended above the knee.

The long maille armour is also mentioned during the early Arab era, where Kharijis are mentioned as wearing long coats of maille that trail on the floor when they talk. There was also another garment known as a "ghughwah" which was a hauberk with an integrated coif.
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pterugues over long chain mail FAVENTIANVS 5 2,560 02-17-2011, 02:53 AM
Last Post: Dan Howard
  Late Roman TFD (Topic For Discussion): Justinian I Ioannes_Ahenobarbus 22 5,918 08-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Ioannes_Ahenobarbus
  Long Roman names derek forrest 12 9,569 05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Malko Linge