Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silly "How did the Romans do it" question
Hello All,<br>
<br>
I am a complete novice to metalworking and have a question.<br>
I ran a search at Arador but could not find an answer. What tools did they use to punch rivit holes in sheet metal? I tried a center punch for my first attempt and the result was ghastly. Second, the drill, which produced the desired result, however to be honest, I'd rather use the original technique.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
John <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jflaherty@romanarmytalk>JFlaherty</A> at: 7/25/04 9:48 pm<br></i>
John -<br>
<br>
what technique(s) did you try?<br>
<br>
<p>Scythius<br>
LEG IX HSPA - COH III EXPG - CEN I HIB<br>
<br>
- FIDELITAS - - VIRTUS - - MAGNANIMITAS - </p><i></i>
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
Hiya!...<br>
<br>
they might have just punched the metal and then hammered it flat again...<br>
<br>
regds...<br>
<br>
M.VIB.M. <p></p><i></i>
<em>they might have just punched the metal and then hammered it flat again</em><br>
<br>
Mostly they didn't bother with the last part, they just punched it (badly).<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The usual conundrum use a whitney punch for perfection and unrealistic perfection or use the Roman method and get all your mates sounding like builders making estimates. Its tough!! <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I used what a think is named a center,or perhaps a staking, punch. The tip resembles a sharpened cone and I strike it with a hammer. The tool punches a hole but leaves flanges of spread metal. It doesn't remove the metal, just displaces it. Did ancient armorers use a tool like this? How I wish I had original examples to examine<br>
<br>
TIA,<br>
John <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A silly question aitor iriarte 9 2,645 08-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius