Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any referance material on Roman triumphal arches?
Any books and/or PDFs on Roman triumphal arches? I'm looking for material that is as detailed as information on amphitheaters: the design, including proportions, and construction from the earliest appearance to the final form(s) and details of incorporation in later constructions, like the one in Rimini, Istanbul and etc. . Was there standardization in design where certain images would appear on certain areas? The sketchbook of the architect and engineer Sienese Giuliano da Sangallo contains drawings of a number of Roman constructions of which the Arch of Constantine is one.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Unfortunately, I don't know of any book in the way of the overview works of Roman theatres or bridges. Here are at least some pictures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rom...hal_arches
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
This may be of some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_of_Titus

The only major arch I know of is the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, and while it was build centuries later by the Frenchman Chalgrin, it had it's basis on the Arch of Titus. I'm hoping the Wiki-page may provide you some more insight, or a posible link to other references which may be of more use to you.

-Quintus Claudius Britannicus
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
You may want to look at the work of FS Kleiner, who has written various papers on arches:

- The Arch of Nero in Rome: a study of the Roman Honorary Arch before and under Nero
- The Arch of Galba at Tarragona and Dynastic Portraiture on Roman Arches
- The Arch in Honor of C. Octavius and the Fathers of Augustus
- The Arch of Gaius Caesar at Pisa (CIL, XI, 1421)

Through www.scholar.google.com you should be able to find the complete references for his work.

Good luck
There's Coulston's Trajan's Column Thesis? Sadly my copies are corrupted (all 3 volumes) Sad
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman law reference material sicarii sam 5 1,616 07-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Tiberius Geracius