Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dennis\' translation of Tactica
If anyone has Dennis' translation of the Tactica of Leo VI, I would like to know how he has translated 18.28 (or 18.30, I have two different versions of the same text, where the paragraph in question is differently numbered). The Greek reads :

"Ταύτην δὲ τὴν τάξιν, ἣν προδιεγράψαμεν, ἀντιτάττεται ἁρμοδίως πεζικὴ τάξις ἐπιμελῶς συντεταγμένη καὶ τόπος ὁμαλὸς καὶ γυμνὸς διὰ τὰς τῶν κονταρίων ὁρμάς, καὶ ἡ κατὰ χεῖρα καὶ ταχέως συμπλοκὴ χωρὶς ἀναβολῆς, διὰ τὸ ἀχρείους ἐκ τοῦ ἐγγὺς τὰς βολὰς τῶν σαγιττῶν γίνεσθαι, καὶ μὴ ἔχειν τοὺς τοξότας κοντάρια ἢ σκουτάρια."

and the beginning of the English translation is "The formation we have already described..."

I have a Greek translation that seems to be all wrong, my reading is also problematic (the grammar used allows as I see it some very different interpretations....) and I am unsure about certain issues, so Dennis' reading might help me clarify some things.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Quote:If anyone has Dennis' translation of the Tactica of Leo VI, I would like to know how he has translated 18.28 (or 18.30, I have two different versions of the same text, where the paragraph in question is differently numbered). The Greek reads :

"Ταύτην δὲ τὴν τάξιν, ἣν προδιεγράψαμεν, ἀντιτάττεται ἁρμοδίως πεζικὴ τάξις ἐπιμελῶς συντεταγμένη καὶ τόπος ὁμαλὸς καὶ γυμνὸς διὰ τὰς τῶν κονταρίων ὁρμάς, καὶ ἡ κατὰ χεῖρα καὶ ταχέως συμπλοκὴ χωρὶς ἀναβολῆς, διὰ τὸ ἀχρείους ἐκ τοῦ ἐγγὺς τὰς βολὰς τῶν σαγιττῶν γίνεσθαι, καὶ μὴ ἔχειν τοὺς τοξότας κοντάρια ἢ σκουτάρια."

and the beginning of the English translation is "The formation we have already described..."

I have a Greek translation that seems to be all wrong, my reading is also problematic (the grammar used allows as I see it some very different interpretations....) and I am unsure about certain issues, so Dennis' reading might help me clarify some things.
Translation of 18.28:
This formation, which we have previously described, is effectively opposed by an infantry formation carefully drawn up in line, as well as by level and open terrain for the charge of the lancers, also by hand-to-hand fighting and coming to blows swiftly without delay, because shooting arrows in such close quarters achieves nothing, and the archers do not have spears or shields.

Dumbarton Oaks will be releasing a revised 2nd Edition in paperback of The Taktika of Leo VI in 2014. The page count is the same, so no idea if it'll be worth purchasing a second time.

John Haldon's much awaited, by me at least, A Critical Commentary on The Taktika of Leo VI will also be out in 2014.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
That was good... Dennis' translation is very close to mine and very different to the Greek one I have... Thx!
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arrian - Ars Tactica Vindex 20 9,407 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Vindex