Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New book - Pompei gladitorial armour
For those that like gladiatorial armour, it looks like a new interesting book will be released in a few weeks time. What's more, it will even be in English and German!

Gladiator: Täglich den Tod vor Augen - Looking on death every day

The helmets and leg-guards from the gladiatorial barracks of Pompeii are far more than everyday armour. Their outstanding, intricate decorates gives an inkling of the glamorous context in which the bloody arena spectacles once took place. The first-class photography by the Munich-based photographer Juraj Lipták are an invitation to explore the elegance of these world-famous finds from Pompeii and to discover new facets of their decoration. For the first time, the Pompeian gladiatorial armour is here presented in its true splendour.

Link to website
https://www.zabern.de/buch/Gladiator/24276

Best wishes,
Martijn
Hi does anyone know Is the text in both English and German or do you have to specifically order an English copy?

Thanks
Marc Byrne
Nope. From the description of the book on the website I gather that the same copy contains both English and German.
Thanks for the tip, Martijn. Sounds very interesting.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Put it on my wish list for X-mas. :-D
Received my copy today. It certainly contains wonderful high-quality pictures of all artifacts from Pompeii. Recommended if you're interested in those. Pictures are of much better quality as in Junkelmann and loads of details are highligted.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I remember that oxbow was selling a book ALL about pugios in German.

The authors name begins with "O". However, I do not recall the full name of the author or title of the book.

Any help is appreciated.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:I remember that oxbow was selling a book ALL about pugios in German.

The authors name begins with "O". However, I do not recall the full name of the author or title of the book.

Any help is appreciated.

Are you looking for Jürgen Obmann's "[hide]Studien zu römischen Dolchscheiden des 1. Jahrhunderts n.Chr: archäologische Zeugnisse und bildliche Überlieferung[/hide]"?
That's the one.

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:That's the one.

Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

It still seems to be available at Oxbow Books: [hide]http://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/studien-zu-romischen-dolchscheiden-des-1-jahrhunderts-n-chr.html[/hide].

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robinson\'s other Roman Armour book richsc 4 1,823 10-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Last Post: richsc