Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kickstarter for Mike\'s book
Mike mentioned the variety of reasons that keeps him from doing the book, but he did in passing mention crowd sourcing. I thought of Kickstarter, and wondered if academic books or such as Mike's could be pre-funded. Is anyone here familiar with an effort like this? Thoughts on it succeeding? I know I'd throw in for a Kickstarter campaign for his book.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I'm up for this. How much would we need to raise?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Yes, a good idea!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I don't have any money to give if he did it, but its a good idea.
The amount to raise and the timing, that is when he could start, would be up to Mike.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Nice idea! I've wondered about academic books doing this, too. I think I mentioned it in that graphic novel thread, which, apparently, didn't reach its goal.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Caballo asks the crucial question. It depends on many factors, such as size (format, number of pages), numbers of copies printed, storage, shipping cost, layout and whether or not you would like Mike to make any money off of this at all. You get to a five digit number in no time flat...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I'd throw in, too. Perhaps we can generate a campaign here?
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Absolutely supporting this. Now, as Jasper says, numbers should be made.
Eduardo Vázquez
Alternatively, the book could be produced electronically and downloaded to subscribers. Whilst there would still be Mike's time, expenses, photos etc as costs, it would reduce the actual production costs. Mike- what are your thoughts?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I do think this approach could work, and very well too.

Yes, there are plenty of details to work out, just as there would be in publishing any book. The aim here is to raise enough money to make publication possible. Profits will come form the sale of books to those beyond the initial investors.

If I might suggest -- consider using IndieGoGo. The mechanics are very similar to KickStarter with one important difference: With KickStarter if you fail to reach your Funding Goal you get nothing. However, with IndieGoGo you do receive the funds you have raised even if you fail to reach the stated goal. This would allow the project to get started while continuing to search for additional / completion funding.

Just a thought.

http://alchemistintraining.com/indiegogo...er-winner/

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
It'd be pretty easy to test this project's viability. Get 500 'yes' answers to the question "would you pay €50, plus shipping, for a comprehensive book about Roman helmets". That just might cover the cost.
But maybe not. Remember, Mike stated photos would have to be bought. Those are easily €100 each. Want a photo (maybe more?) of every known Roman imperial helmet? Bye-bye budget...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Perhaps this project will require a rich and very generous eccentric to get it off the ground and onto bookshelves.

The idea of a pledge system has been used to good effect by several game publishers (most notably GMT out of Northern California http://www.gmtgames.com/s-2-p500.aspx ) however, production costs on this particular project seem more like those encountered on a feature film shoot.

Several film makers are turning to IndieGoGo to find financing for their pet projects, usually films that studios are reluctant to touch because they see no profit in them. Occasionally, such "pet project" film becomes a big hit (Spielberg's Schindler's List or Lincoln, both of with studios felt would lose big money) but more often than not the films do little more than find a niche audience and perhaps some critical praise.

A comprehensive book of Roman helmets could be a great book, welcomed on almost every ancient historian's bookshelf, even at $100 a copy. However, I do wonder if this would be a big money maker -- more a labor of love than of commerce.

Perhaps an adventurous publisher will undertake a Crowd Funding approach to raising the initial capital to fund research and pre-publication costs. One of the 'perks' for donating to the cause would be a deep discount on the finished book. Other incentive items could be magazine subscriptions, T-shirts, catalog titles, or discount coupons for the purchase of other books. All of these cost money too and must be factored into the total production costs.

This is not a simple or easy undertaking. The real questions: Is a comprehensive book about Roman Helmets worth the effort? And if so, when all is said and done, will we be in the 'black'?

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
If the author is willing to try the crowdfunding option, i don't see the problem with trying. After making a realistic budget, considering the real costs, photos included, and the most important thing, the work of the writer, just launch the project through a crowdfunding platform (i would say kickstarter, as all the budget is covered, so costumers have the certainty that they are getting the product). If the goal is reached... voilá! If it is not, no one has lost his money, and all the other more traditional funding options are still available.
It would be sooooo good to get a book by M C Bishop covering the different typologies of helmets throughout Roman history, with tons of detailed pictures! :grin:
Eduardo Vázquez
Quote:(...) with tons of detailed pictures! :grin:

which will give you a budget. Tons is a multiple of 1000, so let's say 2500. 2500 * 100 euro = 250.000 euro.
So, after including Mike his profit and all other publishing costs, I would suggest we have to raise a very big sum of money.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Bishop\'s publication on SCRIBD richsc 9 3,068 02-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Last Post: santell
  forthcoming book by Mike Bishop: richsc 11 2,899 01-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Last Post: mcbishop