Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lion Images....help
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have images of lion sculptures.....marble.....bronze......relief....etc? I am looking for lion images on the 1st C AD. I have seen a few and it looks like the eyes are strange. They do not seem to be looking ahead rather up and to the corner. Is there a reason for this appearance?

Thanks in advance
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Hello!
As far as I know, lions sculptures associated with funerary architecture are widespread throughout romanized Italy, especially between the late republican and early imperial age. Here are 3 examples of 1st C AD lions from Monteleone Sabino (RIeti) (1), Terni (2) and Carsulae (Terni) (3) along the ancient Via Flaminia.
Also, a beautiful roman lion (which, however, I do not remember the precise date) is exposed in Florence under the Loggia dei Lanzi (lion on the right)
Best!
S.M.

[attachment=8231]LeoneIngresso.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8232]339_2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8233]Carsulae15.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Hello,

Thank you for the links and the reply. Very nice photos.......

I am trying to reproduce a Roman lion face for a phalerae. However, the Lauresfort lion face is damaged so I was looking for images to reconstruct the missing parts. From what I recall, many eyes of some Roman lion depictions that I have seen, have a gaze that looks to one side or up. These statues you gave me have wonderful facial features but I cannot see the eyes and if they are in fact looking anywhere but forward. Are there any showing the eyes that contain an iris and pupil?

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I think that none of the lions that I mentioned have a visible pupil. This is a closeup of the best preserved and even in this case no pupil (probably was painted)

[attachment=8238]Untitled-1_2013-10-23.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Hi,
If you can wait until next week I can try to put up some photos of bronze lion's heads from Corbridge as we have a few in the collection there, it's just I'm away from the office until then.
Frances
Thanks for the information. I had a look on Google at another image of the lion you mentioned from Florence. If in fact, its from the Roman period, the frontal picture shows pupils and they are looking to the left...believe it or not.

Paolo