Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huns tenderizing meat under saddle
I was reading Otto J. Meanchen-Helfen's book The World of the Huns & he mentioned Ammianus Marcellinus's description of the way the Huns warmed raw meat while on horseback & he mentioned that this theory has been rejected as a misunderstanding of a widespread steppe practice; the Huns are supposed to have used raw meat for preventing & healing the horse's wounds caused by the pressure of the saddle. He did add that at the end of fourteenth century a Bavarian soldier named Hans Schiltberger who probably never heard of Ammianus, reported that the Tartars of the Golden Horde, when they were on a fast journey, “took some meat & cut it into thin slices & put it into a linen cloth & put it under the saddle & rode on it."
While I assume this method probably served both purposes I was wondering if any members who are experts or have some knowledge of horses & injuries they might receive can tell me if the treatment for saddle wounds theory is a possibility. Does raw meat have healing properties for minor wounds as I am not sure if dripping cow blood would aid in fighting an infection & are there any modern examples?
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
I have heard people suggest wrapping a steak around a wound, now that you mention it. Here's a relevant link.

"The steak treatment may originate in ancient Greek medical theory of the "Four Humors". The beef, being red and bloody, would draw out the swelling. It didn't work, but since the treatment was fairly harmless and the cool meat might actually make it feel better, the custom persisted."
Although it certainly did not cook the meat, there is some merit to the original theory in that it tenderized the meat so if you cooked it later it was more like eating ground beef than a steak, making it easier to digest and whatnot.
I did answer - at length and the system has not registered it.

Bother.

Quick version, therefore - wrapped meat as extra padding, yes, very possible. By-product would be tenderising of meat as it is "mashed" between saddle and horses back.

No to raw meat on open sores - cross infection risk far too high.

Wrapped meat = extra padding which could then be eaten when stopped for the night, and a fresh piece wrapped and put under the saddle to bulk out the fitting when the horse has lost weight after a gruelling campaign.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Good shot, Moi

All we need is a raw egg and some capers.
Enjoy your Steak Tartar! :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The Byzantines used an ekdora, believed to have been a fresh piece of animal skin to cover wounds. The use of such helped to kill John II Komnenos in 1143, who died of septicaemia after accidentally wounding his hand on an arrow.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!
Thanks all for answers. So it seems raw unwrapped meat is not advisable & raw meat even if wrapped will not aid in healing wounds but maybe helpful for ill-fitting saddle support, especially after a long campaign with added benefit of tenderized meat at end of day's march. I only asked as there seems to be a common misconception that the Huns ate raw meat only. My understanding is that like Sarmatians, they were primarily sheep herders where cattle played a secondary role in their lifestyle, so mutton cooked in cauldrons was an important part of their diet along with millet.
Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Quote:The Byzantines used an ekdora, believed to have been a fresh piece of animal skin to cover wounds. The use of such helped to kill John II Komnenos in 1143, who died of septicaemia after accidentally wounding his hand on an arrow.

Yeah I remember reading about some weird traditions like putting a dead mouse on the wound and stuff in the Roman era.

Honestly I'd get a real doctor. "Pour some wine on that, don't you dare touch me with that meat."
Although I've never "cooked" meat under a saddle myself, it should work. In modern Turkey there is a dish called cig kofte (chee kofte) which is raw ground beef and spices kneaded together for a period of time. The heat generated plus spices and sweat "cooks" it in a different but similar idea to ceviche.

Just my two cents.

Edit to include that it's probably a good idea to keep it in a bag or it would make an awful mess.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Huns L.Valerius Gaudentius 83 27,083 03-25-2008, 12:57 AM
Last Post: SMC