Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite Auxiliaries
After the Roman victories in the Macedonian Wars and the Achaean War, were there any hoplite auxiliaries in the Roman army/why were there none? To my understanding, auxiliaries were meant to augment the main Roman force and provide specialized units - hoplites seem to be specialized enough and have proven their worth against the might of Rome before. I know that auxiliaries did not become regularly used for another 100 years AFTER the aforementioned conflicts in which Rome conquered Greece, so I could see how that may factor in to the lack of Greek heavy infantry of the later Republican and early Empirical armies. This is simply just for my knowledge and entertainment so feel free to state opinions as well as facts. Thanks in advance.
"The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must."

- Thucydides

Sean Cantrell
Northern Michigan
After the Roman defeats of the Macedonian type phalanx of the Hellenistic Greek world, the Roman army seems to have become the "state of the art", with other armies adopting Roman style organization. Such adoptions/adaptions by rulers in the Greek east were, of course, uneven and not always too successful and they could not copy the Roman infantryman's characteristic tenaciousness in combat.
Troops hired by the Romans in their later wars in the Greek East were used for particular campaigns. Once completed, they went home with their kings and commanders. The arrangements were not the same as the ones which brought Italian allied forces to the foreign wars alongside the legions.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae