Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Definitive\' List of Legionary\'s Belongings
Mithras: That list is interesting, however I'd say there's definitely gear missing from that list - I don't see any logs of dip, cigarettes or pogy bait :razz:

We wouldn't carry half that trash, simply because it wasn't needed for whatever mission we were on. I can't think of anyone who actually carried their e-tools with them when we were outside the wire. Sure we brought it in-country because it was on the packing list, but never carried it on us. IFAK should be on the vest (Rather than in a pack)...Bayonetts were actually confiscated as soon as we got in-country; they were locked in a box in the armory so they wouldn't get lost and we never saw them on either deployment. Maybe the Army just does things differently than the Marines?

Getting back on topic, I'd be willing to bet that as no soldier likes humps any extra gear they don't have to, chances are your typical miltes might leave gear back at the fort and just borrow something from a fellow milte who did bring it.
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
I think you're talking about "disposable-essential" items. Like a sandwich. I would think any good legionary from Gaul would carry a ham sandwich... at least until noon. Wink
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
The spongae, was rinsed after each use in a bucket containing a solution of viniger and water. For those of you Christians, remember how the Roman soldier happened to have a stick with a sponge, and vineger-water to offer the Savior, when he was on the Cross? Yep! That stick and sponge, and vineger-water.
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
Well, here's a turn up!!!!! What a fantastic idea ... I'm glad someone has done it: comparative photographs of soldiers kit over a thousand years!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world...lmand.html
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Fascinating - thanks for posting.

Shame they didn't add the weights to them, though.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!