Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show Your Artwork Thread!
Thank You Evan... thank you Jori....
To answer your question Jori... Everything is wood. THose 1st 3 carvings are about 30"h x 40" wide.
To start, I cut about an inch off of the bottom of the original block of wood. Pieces that would not hold up to temperature, moister and climate changes are carved out of that block and added back. That keeps all the wood from the original piece so it swells and shrinks at the same rate and subdues any splitting. THe ropes are all done by hand and rounded. I typically lose my thumb prints in the process, as they at times get sanded off.

Water is easy to carve. Clouds for me are the most difficult. THey are difficult to make look real continuously when adding perspective and having them travel off into the distance. THe other difficult things about the clouds is... People tend to "See" things in them... faces and shapes etc. its fascinating hope the imagination works.

I also use people's imaginations to put things into my works that are not actually there. Subtle illusions that the brain makes connections with.

As for your work... what is the medium? Is that airbrushed? I am intrigued. Smile
My work is simply done with Photoshop.

I didn't even thought about the limitations of carving in the wood, great work, really. I believe you when you say that you loose your finger prints doing it!
Clouds are always something really hard to do, as everybody know what it is, "something fluffy in the air", but a real pain to carve in wood, I can imagine!
[Image: inaciem-bandeau.png]
Hello, Patrick

Wow! These carvings are beyond excellent. I realize the great amount of time required to create the details.
Here is a carving I did back in the 1970s. It's a black duck decoy sitting on my workbench. These decoys were hand-carved, hollowed with a gouge, glued together, finish-carved, and then painted with acrylic. Same deal-- labor intensive. :-)

[attachment=8213]oldtackleshop026.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Thank you Alan... Smile

I was a professional Waterfowl carver in the 80's I will post some of those pictures if I can find them.
I stopped carving for 19 years. The carving "End of an Era" was the first carving since the 19 year resting period.

I am a Featured Artist in WoodCarving Illustrated and a soon to be staff writer for Carving Magazine. (Once my house is done renovating.) I may have an article in there at the beginning of the year though.

I love the setting for your picture of your decoy! You'd like my son... He is a fly fishing guide, hunting guide, and bush pilot in Alaska.

--Patrick
Thanks, Patrick

Yes, I was a Registered Maine Guide specializing in fly fishing-- from trout to sharks. I wrote a book on fly fishing history in 1997. Last weekend I was recognized for that book and inducted into the Fly Fishing Hall of Fame.

I carved decoys and built rods from 1968 until 1982, when I closed the tackle shop.

I also carved scrimshaw until 1978 when the US Government decided that dead whales needed protection. That law banned the interstate commerce of whale's teeth. Here is a pic of a great blue heron.

[attachment=8214]me-photos010.JPG[/attachment]

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Here's another one. Not a great pic, but it was a full-sized loon with a brook trout in its mouth. I carved this one for the late Mary Kelly, who was one of our finest angling historians.

[attachment=8215]me-photos008.JPG[/attachment]

Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Here is an illustration I painted for Medieval Warfare magazine.

Graham.

"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Nice painting, Graham

I never could draw men. Can't figure it out.
That Turkish bow was smaller than an asymmetrical Hunnic one, yet the distance record was made with it.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Hun bows were 130cm weren't they?
[attachment=8217]FerrugHawk.jpg[/attachment]

Ferruginous Hawk, Copper engraving, printed in black ink of Johannot paper, with watercolors, apx. 4x6"

[attachment=8218]WinterGray2.jpg[/attachment]

"Winter Gray" (Great Gray Owl), Pencil drawing on Strathmore paper, apx. 11x14"
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
The image quality is poor as I took the photos with my cellphone camera, which is old.
Drawings of Higgins Armory Museum pieces, a project I'm frantically trying to complete as the museum closes at the end of the year 2013, all 3,000 artifacts will be moved to the Worcester Art Museum.

[attachment=8219]TeuffenbachWM.jpg[/attachment]

Armor attributed to Franz von Teuffenbach, late 1500's

[attachment=8220]ancienthelms2WM.jpg[/attachment]

Ancient period helmets, sort of self-explanatory on this board. Big Grin

both are pencil drawings on Canson paper, apx 14x17", and took about 2 hours each.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Ooh a Pilos helmet, I just like those helmets for some reason
I am certainly enjoying this thread! Awesome work Andy, Graham and Alan! I have a passion for Birds of Prey! I taught my sons how to call in Owls, Hawks and Canadian Geese without using a call. Nothing but naturally formulated sounds. (Yes... I know... Canadian Geese are not Birds of Prey) LOL
Patrick,
The carvings of the S. S. Edmund Fitzgerald bring back very sad memories of that long ago sinking. My dad worked as a coal stoker on the ore boats on the Great Lakes in the 1940's. I was in Cleveland when the news hit that she had gone down. Much of the ore taken out of the ground in Minnesota was bound for Cleveland and the steel mills there (and Youngstown, Ohio, too).
Thus what happened hit close to the bone for me.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
After some discussion, it has been decided this thread will be for historical artwork only. All artwork currently posted will remain, but please keep your artwork in the historcial theme.

Sorry for the inconvenience, many of you have done great work.

Thanks,
MMFA