Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new auxilia book
Blood of the Provinces: The Roman Auxilia and the Making of Provincial Society from Augustus to the Severans [Hardcover]
Ian Haynes (Author)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Provinces-...p_t_1_TH7X
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Sounds quite interesting but it is very expensive! Did you read it?
not yet. it still must come out. i just wanted to prewarn Big Grin
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
This sounds like a great book, very in depth. But I want it now, and not at that price!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Does sound good (and worryingly close to my Phd topic) but that price is a bit steep; one for university libraries only I think :/
What is your Phd about? Auxilia yes, but I guessed that.. :-P
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:What is your Phd about? Auxilia yes, but I guessed that.. :-P
Constructions of identity in military fort communities in northern Britain from the conquest period to the Edict of Caracalla. On one level I'm looking at how the military exerted cultural control over auxiliary regiments, but also at how soldiers interacted with other members of the military community, from family members to slaves and traders. I'm quite into recent archaeological theory so that tends to feature prominently; gender comes up more than my Classics supervisor would prefer... All that could relate to what he describes in the blurb, or possibly not; it's a bit vague and I'm not sure how he's defining 'provincial society'. It does sound quite reminiscent of Simon James' book Rome and the Sword though.
Any speed-readers that have read this and can give their opinion? Possibly useful for my master's thesis and in any case probably/hopefully a nice addition to my bookshelf...
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History
Quote:Any speed-readers that have read this and can give their opinion? Possibly useful for my master's thesis and in any case probably/hopefully a nice addition to my bookshelf...
You can preview it for yourself on Google Books. Sadly, it looks like another example of a university press overpricing a book with a hefty markup designed to sucker institutional libraries.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Titus Statilius Castus post=345345 Wrote:Any speed-readers that have read this and can give their opinion? Possibly useful for my master's thesis and in any case probably/hopefully a nice addition to my bookshelf...
You can preview it for yourself on Google Books. Sadly, it looks like another example of a university press overpricing a book with a hefty markup designed to sucker institutional libraries.

Mike Bishop
That price is astounding! Hopefully it will be republished in a cheaper paperback version at some point. I certainly can't see anything to make it worth investing in personally at that price (which is both good and bad, as it looks like he covers similar topics to me. But only two tables?).
Quote:
Titus Statilius Castus post=345345 Wrote:Any speed-readers that have read this and can give their opinion? Possibly useful for my master's thesis and in any case probably/hopefully a nice addition to my bookshelf...

Mike Bishop

Sorry for this late reply, but thank you, I had not come across this yet. Didn't cross my mind it might be partly available on Google Books as I was hoping for some feedback on this by a RAT-expert on auxilia/roman military in general. I did a quick scan but will be looking more into it.

If anyone should happen to read the book, let us know about it!
Valete,
LEG XI CPF

MA in History