Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roy Davies\' PhD Thesis
I just noticed that Roy Davies' wonderfully ground-breaking 1967 PhD thesis has finally been made available online from Durham University eTheses. The content may be familiar to most, from the series of journal articles that it spawned from 1966 to 1978 (Davies died in 1977), some of which appeared in the 1989 collected volume (reviewed here). But it's nice to finally see the original!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Well, I only spent 30 seconds glancing through it and already learned something new. I didn't realise that legionaries carried a sickle to harvest crops as part of their normal equipment! (Found on page 360, referenced by Josephus, apparently.)
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I don't suppose there's a picture or two floating around somewhere to show us what one looked like, eh?

It's amazing to think that the average Legionaire ate three pounds of corn/grain a day. I imaging each 8-man group might have done a ration-pooling to make meals, but still. Three pounds? On the other hand, reading about all the labor these troops were doing I can see why they would need to have such a large amount - that's quite a lot of calories they'd be burning...

-Quintus Claudius Britannicus
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Thanks Duncan. As a fan of Roy Davies' work this is great. (Even if I have all the other books and articles!)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I don't suppose there's a picture or two floating around somewhere to show us what one looked like, eh?
How about this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co..._LXXXI.jpg
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:I don't suppose there's a picture or two floating around somewhere to show us what one looked like, eh?
-Quintus Claudius Britannicus

Two allegedly "Roman" sickles acquired in Jerusalem of unknown find-spot, taken moments ago with my iPhone:

[attachment=8243]photo1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=8244]photo4.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
They look just like the ones in the relief. I've never done any harvesting by hand, but I'm wondering why they didn't attach long handles on the end. Bending down like that to cut the grain looks particularly back-breaking.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Two allegedly "Roman" sickles acquired in Jerusalem
These from Newstead are definitely Roman:
http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platelxi.htm
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:
Robert Mason post=345758 Wrote:Two allegedly "Roman" sickles acquired in Jerusalem
These from Newstead are definitely Roman:
http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platelxi.htm

Interesting. The tangs look more convincingly Roman than mine do!
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Duncan\'s review of Davies, Roman Siege Works Jona Lendering 0 1,261 05-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering