Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insus
I may be having a senior moment, but I found a reference to one of my favourite cavalrymen, Insus (pic attached in case anyone doesn't know him. Called the Lancaster Rider).

I quote "A Latin inscription reveals the cavalryman to be Insus Vodullus, an ‘eques’ or mounted trooper of the auxiliary cavalry unit ala Augusta. His decapitated victim is revealed as a citizen of the Treveri tribe, from the Trier area of western Germany." Admittedly from 2006

Now - I had always thought Insus was from the Treveri. Is it me? I am trying to understand why he would be waving as head of the Treveri around when he is buried in Britannia (unless he brought his prepared tombstone with him!).

Any assistance in clarifying this would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I may be having a senior moment, ...
No, don't panic, Moi -- you're not. Chalk it up to Mr Richard Moss's mistaken analysis of the stone (which was taken up and repeated on various web sites). Insus himself (or, as we can now call him, RIB 3185) is the Treveran (naturally).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hi Moi

You will find this little book useful

Triumphant Rider by Stephen Bull
Paperback: 64 pages
Publisher: Palatine Books (18 Jun 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1874181470
ISBN-13: 978-1874181477

Available from Amazon.

It has a reconstruction by yours truly in it.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Thank you Duncan and Graham.

So pleased it is not me! I do have the book...it's buried under bits of saddle and kit in my house somewhere Wink I prefer Insus to RIB3185 though.

And while I have folk's attention...what do we think is going on with the brooch? Is it a late La Tene type? Is it very large because of the stone mason or would it have been that big (with a very strong pin)? I have been trying to get someone to make me one for ages, but all the ones people "quote" at me are less than 2" diameter. This looks to have been far bigger.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi-res image of Insus Praefectusclassis 1 1,094 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner