Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bacchus and Silenus
I am searching for photos of the two gods. Are they one and the same? In doing an image Google search, I nearly see the same photos for both of them. There are images of a young Bacchus. However, I am looking for the ones where he has a beard. Any time I look for either, I get the same photos for both.

Can anyone please provide me with photos of either.

Thanks in advance.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Bacchus is the same as Dionysos right? I have an image of Dionysos riding a Cheetah from Pella, Macedonia, c.a. 5th century BC.

[attachment=8111]CheetahonPellanMosaic.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the image and the rename if you will
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I think they are different gods. Check theoi.com. I think that is a good site to find primary sources and images from mythology. I would post links but don't know how to copy and paste on my phone!
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thank you for the information.

Paolo
Romans portrayed Bacchus as a young man wearing a wreath of grapes or grape leaves. Silenus was portrayed as a bald-headed, bearded, fat old man, constantly drunk and horny. Greeks portrayed Dionysus as a bearded man, usually wearing a woman's gown.
Pecunia non olet
Thank you John for the distinct features. So what you are saying is that the Roman statues that have Bacchus with a beard and grape leaves on his head are copying a Greek image?

Paolo
Paolo.
Here are pictures of both Dionysos and Silenus his drunken companion, Dionysos is the Greek version of Bacchus god of revelry. Silenus is also shown falling off his donkey cart in the sarcophagus and was always known for falling off his donkey so drunk. There is also shown in his brow band grapes the fruit of the vine for making wine.
Then here is Silenus as part of the Lauersfort phalerae and also as I have re-created him in my copies of these phalerae centre bottom in a drunken pose.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Thank you for the pictures. That is great information.

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bacchus and Silenus Question Doc 8 1,792 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Doc