Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sources about the praefectus castrorum
It says :

(A'= the first year of) emperor Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, during the service of Gaius Liternius Fronto as eparch of Egypt.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Again big thanks to you all, this forum deserve a citation in my thesis when I finish it. :-)
Praefectus Castrorum of II AVG 61AD......the fall guy.....after all that has been written about these great men, all of a sudden, in deepest Devon/Dummnomni, this man takes his own life because the II AVG cant help Paulinus. Its a pity we really don't know more about this guy. Reason, unresolved. Situation, unresolved in my opinion.
Kevin,
Kevin
Quote:Praefectus Castrorum of II AVG 61AD......the fall guy.....after all that has been written about these great men, all of a sudden, in deepest Devon/Dummnomni, this man takes his own life because the II AVG cant help Paulinus. Its a pity we really don't know more about this guy. Reason, unresolved. Situation, unresolved in my opinion.
Kevin,

Well the interesting fact is that he made the decision to not move with the legion on his own without any hint that the legate or the senatorial tribune was around. Some thesis have brought up the theory that he couldn't move for fear of an attack from the Siluri or other tribes in the area the legion was stationed. It could be that the senatorial tribune and the legate were detached with some vexillationes[/i ] trying to suppress the guerrilla of the Siluri.

Quote:It says :

[i](A'= the first year of) emperor Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, during the service of Gaius Liternius Fronto as eparch of Egypt.

Well could you tell me what word in inscription means "eparch"?
Quote:Ἀλέξανδρος, ἔπαρχος κάστρων Θηβῶν, ἶδον καὶ ἐθαύμασα·/ καὶ ὧδε ὁ τούτου νοτάριος Ἰσὰκ Ἀλεξανδρεὺς ὑπερ/εθαύμασα θιότατον {θειότατον} ἔργον

:wink: Literally "eparchos".
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Just in case it wasn't clear, 'eparchos' is the word used in Greek to translate the Latin word 'praefectus' (prefect). The "eparch of Egypt", not a turn of phrase I've seen before, would be the Praefectus Aegypti
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]
Well this is really odd, the governor of the province during that year was Tiberius Alexander that later became the 2nd commander of Titus army in Judaea, why call him with the title of the governor? I guess that I will have to investigate here.
Quote:Well this is really odd, the governor of the province during that year was Tiberius Alexander ...
Don't panic. H.-G. Pflaum* re-read the inscription and decided that it was not Year 1 but Year 11. The Egyptian Year began on 29 August, so Vespasian's eleventh year ran from 29 August AD 78 to his death on 23 June AD 79. This means that "Liternius Fronto" is actually Aeternius Fronto (as I noted in passing here in 1988 :wink: ).

* H.-G. Pflaum, "A propos des Préfets d'Égypte d'Arthur Stein", Latomus 10 (1951), pp. 471-77.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on the deployment of auxiliaries and the praefectus castrorum's role Keeper of the Sacred Chickens 11 1,501 04-19-2021, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Mark Hygate
  The Role & Status of "Praefectus Castrorum" C.Armiger 24 6,998 07-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  The Praefectus Castrorum... Anonymous 4 2,561 05-17-2002, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Anonymous