Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanisches Nationalmuseum Roman Helmet
So I am looking for photos and info on this helmet.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:R...museum.jpg

Not the one in the front but the one in the background there. I can find no real details on it if I can find anything at all. All I get when I do my searches is the 'parade'/ 'cavalry' helmet.

Any help? I tend to like the more simple type Roman helmets as that in my Avatar from the Scottish National Museum but really like the look of this one at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum a great deal,

Thanks,

C Artorius Castus
Armamentaria sells a copy.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
The helmet in the background is a Weisenau (Imperial-Italic G) type helmet found as a deposit (together with the cavalry helmet in the foreground) in a stone building of the vicus of the fort of Theilenhofen. The building was destroyed by fire. The floor of the building contained fragments of Antonine sigallata and a coin of Commodus (189 AD), other finds indicate use of the building through the end of the 2nd century and into the frist third of the 3rd century. The helmets themselves do not show any traces of a fire and may therefore have been hidden in the building AFTER it had been destroyed by fire.

It is published in Klumbach, H. and Wamser, L. 1976-77: 'Ein Neufund zweier außergewöhnlicher Helme der römischen Kaiserzeit aus Theilenhofen, Landkreis Weißenburg-Gunzenhausen. Ein Vorbericht', Jahresbericht der Bayerischen Bodendenkmalpflege 17-18, 41-61 and is also in the RAT helmet database as „Imperial Italic IIG 02“.

There used to be a long thread on RAT discussing whether this helmet originally had a brow guard but I cannot find it now.

You can find many photos by googling Theilenhofen helm(et) and I can send you more if you PM me your private email address.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Jens,

Thanks for the info. Sadly too late for what I planned it for.... maybe I will give it a go when I have some open time for a project. I will have to look that book up sometime but unless it is English it may be tricky.... closest language I studied to it was Old English.....

Google search returned a few pictures but hard to find a close up of it so far.

Thanks again,

CAC
I have fairly good photos. PM me your email address if you want them.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks Jens!

PM sent

RPM/CAC
Hi,
.... IIRC the first one is part of the Exhibition at Braunschweig right now (Harzhorn).

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.