Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reproducing embroidery on Greek chitons
So, we don't really know if the fabrics with the traces of embroidery from classical Greece were from a tunic or if it was from a covering of some kind, but I had decided to make a tunic with the Archaemid star/Vergina Sun on it for a commission. I used a very fine gold thread on a fine wool/cashmere mix fabric. It took me about 50 hours of work to complete it as the thickness of the thread was approx 0.3mm and each star was 8.5cm in size. There were 18 stars in total running the hem of the garment....
Glad when it was finished... but a sense of achievement was had due to the difficulties in the wound thread getting stuck regularly on the wool fabric... grrrr.... but a nice finish, nevertheless

[attachment=8147]481452_504176742970463_303636942_n.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8148]166034_504176766303794_2071531962_n.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Wow...that's some fine stitching ma'am! Smile

-Quintus Claudius Britannicus
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
Looks great!
Patrick D.
That looks really awsome. Might I inquire how many pounds of gold something like this would cost? I really like the one you made me but have often wished I had a fancier one as well.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Excellent work, as always, Ms. Claire. Well done!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
For commissions such as this, I work on an hourly rate, so if the work took 50 hours, it would cost £500. That's also quite a low rate considering I also include material costs included in the price.

It has taught me muchos patience...

Ps, thanks so much for the kind words. I have enjoyed doing mire of the hand embroidery work and it does seem to be popular Smile
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek tunics not chitons joeandmich 7 2,854 01-24-2012, 02:01 AM
Last Post: John Conyard