Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brueggeman\'s Roman Army website
I have found a new and permanent home for The Roman Army website at www.romanarmy.info. The new site has larger storage so new and expanded pages will be added in the coming months. Since this site is new, may I ask you to let me know if there are any problems viewing the material? There is an email link on the home page. The old site which was on 0Catch is now defunct.

Gary Brueggeman
A quick scan and its looks great.......will need plenty of free time to get "lost" in it.
Thanks.
Kevin
Kevin
Cool. Hope to see more contributions to it soon!
Hi Gary. Your front page advertises a "new" page on The Hyginus Camp, so I had a quick look. I notice that you say:
Quote:Readers who know Latin will have noticed that the right (dextra) and left (sinistra) gates are reversed. This is because Hyginus visualized the camp with the Porta Praetoria at the bottom whereas modern representations always put it at the top.
I wondered why you think this, as Hyginus doesn't actually specify which is which. (Also, he calls them porta dexterior and porta sinistrior, using the comparative form of the adjectives, but that's by the by.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
MODERATOR GREEN

Call me a meany, but as there are now three threads with this title I have kept the one with the link and deleted the others. I've also changed the category for this one.

End of Moderator Green :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
A question to the mods - why would not you combine threads that you think are duplicates into one, preserving people's responses? When you delete both the original postings that you think are duplicates with members' responses that are unique, you treating those members with disrespect. It would have really taken a minute to combine the threads instead of simply hitting the delete button.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)
In Moderator Green

My apologies if my actions seem disrespectful, it was certainly not my intention, but the very fact I can't actually write this in green is because I have difficulties with aspects fo the forum and my system.

Combining threads and maintaing the original posters' comments as an original poster is not necessarily as easy as you may think. I would also add that it would make sense to me that if there is a duplication of thread, the posters look for the original and contribute to that thread (easily found from the Recent Topics list) rather than answering what is clearly a second or third original post.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I posted the announcement in three places simply to be sure that interested parties saw it. I had not intended to create three threads of discussion. My apologies for that. Readers who would like to comment on the site or ask questions should write to me at [email protected]. Right now I am working on trying to get the page up and corrected and probably will not respond to non-critical comments for awhile.

I should add that the page is as it was almost ten years ago when I took it down; so "new" means "ten years old." That's the sort of thing that needs fixing.

I appreciate the kind remarks people have made about the site now and in the past. I'm sorry it was down so long. I took it down because of rampant piracy. When I saw a wargamer had stolen a whole section of my site, illustrations and all, and claimed it as his own work I decided to take the site down temporarily. I'm sorry that "temporarily" turned into so many years.

I do hope people enjoy the site. But please keep the caveats in mind -- I do not claim to have definitive answers. The whole intent of the site is to give some tools for analysis to people who want to think about the issues. I strive for accuracy but often make mistakes. If the site raises new questions and helps move discussions forward I will have achieved my goals.

Gary Brueggeman
Quote:Combining threads and maintaing the original posters' comments as an original poster is not necessarily as easy as you may think.

Trust me, that is not that difficult – I made an effort and read the instruction to the Kunena forum. It is even easier than on my own forum. All you had to do was to use the "Moderate" or "Moderate Topic" button instead of "Delete" and transfer the posts or even the entire thread into the other by name or ID. It might have been also required (I did not go into details) to change the category first, but it is not difficult either and can be done through the same buttons. Of course, deleting everything altogether is much easier, but, for crying out loud, would it really be such a big deal to show some respect and spend 3-5 minutes to transfer the posts and additional info from the other "duplicates" of Gary Brueggeman?

Quote:I would also add that it would make sense to me that if there is a duplication of thread, the posters look for the original and contribute to that thread (easily found from the Recent Topics list) rather than answering what is clearly a second or third original post.

The thing is, the posts that you deemed to be duplicates were, in fact, different, and I posted my response in the thread where the originating post was twice as long as in the thread that you chose to keep.
Ildar Kayumov
XLegio Forum (in Russian)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  partial Brueggeman site? richsc 1 922 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs