Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tribune\'s Muscle Cuirass
Actually while most (the vast majority) of musculata doesn't have the pronounced muscles there are actually early types that do have exaggerated abs. From southern Italy:

[attachment=9858]DSC05057_2014-05-11.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Yes, I know of this piece BUT its one piece versus how many????? In fact, believe it or not, I was waiting for someone to throw this picture onto RAT as evidence LOL.
Even this piece does not have the abs and chest muscles as pronounced. As you said, its an earlier piece and I believe the person who wants to know about musculata is talking much later. Then, there is the issue of which period in time you are planning on using it. Most of the other pieces with less muscles are in fact what most statuary seem to show in the 1st C AD even though the curiasses are earlier. Nonetheless, the earlier armors and the later statues seem to show a certain continuity. Even the Prodrom iron musculata is consistent with other copper alloy forms and statuary. So, if someone wants a musculata, I think that consistency of pieces following depictions is the way to go and not a "one-off" which non have later been found....AFAIK. I had this same debate a long time ago when I was wondering what sort of musculata I wanted.

There are some statues that I know of that have more pronounced muscles but not like the reproduction in question. Besides, there is also the issue that the surface of the reproduction in question is too dinged and the hammer marks are also exaggerated. The original pieces where the surface is not too damaged seem to suggest a smooth surface.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Alexander.
The Pteruges are in fact glued into postion and then there is thin leather fitted over them on the inside of the cuirass, the chest decoration is made from thin brass sheet that is hand worked repousse'
These pteruges are made from three pieces of leather that has the inner core piece then a backing piece that is stitched along with the wrap around front piece, the full set that are shown with his armour were made by the same method that gives a stong set of leathers, The large pteruges as also the shoulder pieces are fixed to a thin leather under garment.
Brian Stobbs
Here is another picture of Doug' wearing his short cuirass and also his silver wrist Armillae.
[attachment=9869]duo1Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
Brian, your work with helmets and armor is amazingly beautiful. Did you ever publish any how to books?
Brian, I see. And yes, as everyone else has already stated - simply fantastic work! Thank you for sharing with us.

I think the method you've used for the ptyruges is definitely plausible, given what we see depicted and know of Roman textile and leather usage. I'm assuming then that Doug did not use a separate "subarmalis" or arming doublet but a belt to hold up the lower layer of ptyruges hanging below?
Alexander
Brian... What type of "Glue" do you use to glue the leather to the brass?
And... was there a thin leather that covered the entire inside of the Cuirass?

--Patrick
Patrick.
The type of glue was an EVO-STIK impact adhesive where the pteruges were fitted to the metal and, then a complete inner covering of the cuirass with a thin leather over them and this is the kind of glue I have also used for Roman shoe making.
The main set of double layers of armour pteruges were glued and sewn onto a small waist length jacket that goes under the cuirass.
The edges of the cuirass was held together with hinges and pins but then at a later date I made different fixings that were straps and buckles so that Doug' could fit the cuirass on his own. It was here that a new method of fixing had to be made to hold the edges of the armour together without it overlapping, and this was done by making tongues and slots such as in the drawing. These were made with thin metal plates and brackets as shown that fit on the insides of the armour, and I am sure that this may have been the way that originals might have been held in place.
[attachment=9870]img267Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9871]img268Medium.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9872]img106Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Brian Stobbs
I will be working on mine soon. I have been overloaded (In a good way) making things for others.
I am finishing up my Officer's Sword and Parazonium Dagger. As I finish working on our house renovation and a full time job Pastoring a church.

Your influence in my life has been greatly appreciated... just wish I could spend a few hours with you in my shop!

--Patrick
Patrick.
When you come to make a cuirass that drawing I have shown might be of some use to you for it does help to hold the two halves of a cuirass together without them falling over each other.
In fact they can also be used along with rings and thongs and they do not take up a lot of room under the armour inside and I made these tongues and brackets from 0.9 mm brass sheet and even the brackets only come out at 1.8 mm deep.
They could I suppose even be made from 1 mm thick stiff leather and maybe give a bit more flexabllity when worn but the brass ones are stronger and did not cause any problems.
In fact with most Roman armours we must stop and give thoughts to just what we are creating, and I'm sure that this might just be the method used in ancient times for all of the cuirass we look at always look so neat and tidy.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iron/Steel muscle cuirass Damianus Albus 3 1,487 10-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Hinge pins on a Muscle Cuirass Pointer 34 5,187 07-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Looking for Pictures of Roman Muscle Cuirass\' Pointer 13 5,435 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius