Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quivers
Quote:Where/when is this image from Rado?
Oops I just put the wrong link !I've corrected the link with more information in my older post.
Radostin Kolchev
(Adlocutio Cohortium)
http://legio-iiii-scythica.com/index.php/en/
Quote:http://judithweingarten.blogspot.com/201...rt-ii.html
A mounted hunter draws his bow on a charging wild boar in an ink drawing on the wall of a small room in the temple. The bearded hunter wears a long-sleeve tunic over wide trousers tucked into ankle boots. The hilt of his sword and scabbard are visible on his hip and a quiver full of arrows hangs on the horse's flank. The horse is pictured in flying gallop (all four hooves off the ground) confronting the boar which leaps out of a bed of reeds.

Yes, I like this image. I tend to look a bit like that when I am doing horse-archery also! It has a vertical line on the quiver which is otherwise like all the other Dura quiver images, plus a number of others (like the Sasanian ones) which seem to be single tubes, but this may be two tubes connected to each other, like the Orlat plaque and other finds..
Robert Mason D.Phil (Oxon)
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
E-mail: [email protected]
Here is one I made recently for a customer, based on one painted in the notitia dignatqtum

[attachment=8177]20131015_080715.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8178]20131015_080728.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
Quote:Here is one I made recently for a customer, based on one painted in the notitia dignatqtum

Very nice! Belt loop? I finally got my workshop into a state that I can actually *make* my quiver at the weekend! Now I have to find the time to buy some leather!
World Cultures, Royal Ontario Museum, 100 Queen's Park, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 2C6, Canada.
Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto, 4 Bancroft Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5S 1C1, Canada.
I'll add a couple of quivers, but not for bows ;-)

Solignac sur Loire and another french one I cannot find the name :unsure:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Ah yes, the Arcubllista, inarguably one of my favorite Roman weapons.
Quote:I'll add a couple of quivers, but not for bows ;-)

Solignac sur Loire and another french one I cannot find the name :unsure:

Those are nice. I had a quick Google to find out more about the images:

"The two found at Solignac-sur-Loire and Saint Marcel reliefs of the 4th Century:1 Crossbow with Quiver, found after Flachbildnerei at Solignac-sur-Loire Tomb siphon.2 Crossbow after a Roman villa, near Puy, excavated frieze."

"Relief with funerary columns unknown hunter. Polignac-on-Loire, the second half of the II - beginning of III century. BC Krozate Museum, in Le Puy, France."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  javelin quivers Mick Saunders 1 2,128 10-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Late Quivers Carlton Bach 10 4,431 06-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Mithras