Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative view on function of the loculus
Greetings people,

last week, dr. Carol van Driel-Murray sent me some very intriguing information on another view of the shoulder bag with cross bands on the marching pack seen on the first scene of Trajan's column, the item til now called loculus.

It was presented in an article of the Journal of Roman Archaeology 21, 2008, pp. 264-274, by Marquita Volken, called 'The water bag of Roman soldiers'.

The article set the focus on a detail until now widely disregarded by both academics and reenactors, that is a spout emerging on the right corner on top of the bag.

In short: the spout is seen on all bags and it is surprising that nobody ever paid attention to it. When you see the bag viewed from different angles, it becomes clear that this spout belongs to the loculus and not to some bag carried behind it. (see attachment nr 1)

Also, the author states that this function may explain why there has never been found a complete sample of a loculus: these water bags tend/tended to be made of untanned, oiled skins, which completely dissolve in wet climates. This explains why only in Egypt, almost similar water bags were found (only without the crossed bands of the loculus), due to the dry and warm climate.

The corners could have been the heads and legs of the animal roughly removed: this may also explain the bumpy corners of the bag, which til now were always explained by the long edgy tools supposedly carried in the bag.

And the crossed bands over the central rectangular piece on both sides? These may have the function of preventing the skin sticking together when the bag contains very little water.

And for those who think that attaching the crossed bands over the central rectangular piece of the bag may cause tha bag to leak water, the author also explains for that: these may well have been stitched by thongs made of the same untanned skin piece, which, when oiled instead of tanned, does not absorb or leak the water. Of course, these thongs must be stitched halfway through the skin to prevent leaking.

The author also states that the cloak bag on top of the loculus on the marching pack, may in this view be a pig skin conaining the posca (sour wine) of the legionaries.

I have also attached the graphic reconstruction of the water bag (nr. 2) by the author.

But of course, this alternative view only causes more questions:
1. if both bags are supposed to contain fluieds, what other bag/sack may have existed to carry clothes, mantle and socks in a dry mannner? In my own view, I tend to a compromise: the loculus may have been a water bag, but the bag above it is in my view (for the moment) still a cloak bag. Another possibility: the spout out of the loculus could also have been the leather protection of a ceramic water bottle, filling the loculus only for 1/3 part, while the rest of the loculus could still have room for other smaller items like the fire cracker, saw, leather working tools, etc.
2. if these rectangular bags were indeed water bags, the metal canteens could indeed be more logically containers of oily substances (because water tends to oxidize these canteens far to quick). Only thing is: has anyone ever done chemical research on the content of the found metal canteens? If anyone know about the researcher who did the job, I would be much obliged to know. It would also be helpful to get to the exact answer of the function of the loculus with spout.

I am curious to your views and answer to this, valete.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arno Luyendijk 

aka

Pvblivs Clavdivs Githiosses

[email protected]
Quote:last week, dr. Carol van Driel-Murray sent me some very intriguing information on another view of the shoulder bag with cross bands on the marching pack seen on the first scene of Trajan's column, the item til now called loculus.
See here (and here).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thank you for referring me, DH Campbell. The reason I did not find that topic was that I searched on 'loculus' and not on 'water bag'.
Arno Luyendijk 

aka

Pvblivs Clavdivs Githiosses

[email protected]
After spending 21 years in the army carrying all my gear in a rucksack and/or aidbag, I think ( as other veterans in here might as well) that the sheer weight would be difficult to manage on the furca pole. 1 gal of water = approx 8 lbs. I dont know how many gallons could go into both carriers but thats probably up to experimental archaology to tackle....
John Watkins
" Medicvs"