Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building a decent gladius from a Albion blade
Ave,<br>
<br>
The next project I am starting on is the rebuilding of a existing blade into a decent gladius. First I thought of rebuilding a Deepeeka but then I discovered the existence of the 'bare blade'-line from Albion (a lot cheaper then a finished one).<br>
<br>
Has anyone worked with this blade (or an other) and have any advice on reworking altering gladii? Especially the end of the hilt. How to secure the several pieces on the blade by peening the hilt?<br>
<br>
Hoping for your comments, greetings to you all.<br>
<br>
Jurgen/Quintilianus <p></p><i></i>
Ave!<br>
<br>
With an Albion blade, you shouldn't have to do any reworking at all. Carving the slots through the hilt parts will be the most tedious part, because you want them to fit as snugly as possible. I always mark a dot on one side of the tang, and a dot on the corresponding side of each hilt part (where it can't be seen after assembly), so that the parts go on the same way every time.<br>
<br>
On top of the pommel, add a steel or brass washer that just fits over the end of the tang. The tang should only project about 1/8" or less (2 to 3 mm) beyond this washer, so cut off any excess. You might also want to file the end of the tang so that it is pretty much circular in section, easier to fit the washer to it that way.<br>
<br>
When all is ready to go, I would anneal the very end of the tang, heating it red hot and allowing to cool slowly. Then put the hilt pieces in place. You may have to shim or pack the grip if it is bone, but I never have.<br>
<br>
Peening is the tricky part. Clamp the blade tightly in a vise, padded with a layer of leather, with the point resting on a block of wood or lead. Then use a small hammer, preferably a ballpeen, and start rapping on the tip of the tang. Not too hard, and you'll see that you can vary the striking angle slightly to make the tang spread out and mushroom, holding everything solidly in place.<br>
<br>
That should do it! With an Albion blade and your own hilt parts, you'll get a really nice sword!<br>
<br>
Good luck and Vale,<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus, Legio XX <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks Matt!<br>
<br>
Just the detailed advice I needed.<br>
<br>
All the best,<br>
<br>
Jurgen/Quintilianus <p></p><i></i>
Jurgen, I hope you realize we expect pictures after this!!! <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
pics! yeahyeahyeah! and an offer to make some more custom swords too! (just kidding) <p>-ANDY aka "Roman Dude" Svaviter in Modo, Fortiter in Re<br>
<br>
www.higgins.org </p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re-Hilted Albion Tiberius Blade with New Scabbard Pointer 0 444 12-22-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Pointer
  Making a Gladius blade lyuv 21 6,570 02-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Doc
  ALERT-- Albion gladius stolen FlaviusCrispus 9 2,536 10-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Last Post: marsvigilia