Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture
Quote:What I find disappointing is that, although the first ten lectures were published, subsequent ones have not been. I once wrote to Cardiff Museum (or whoever is responsible for that sort of thing) asking whether there was a possibility of their being published but did not get the courtesy of a reply.

Try writing to the Legionary Museum in Caerleon, addressing it to the 'Shop Manager'. You are much more likely to get a reply from him than the main museum in Cathays Park.

You are correct in that the first ten lectures were amalgamated and published as a single work. However, an update was published a few years back (author/editor, Richard Brewer) under the title "The Second Augustan Legion and the Roman Military Machine", (Published by NMGW 2002). Not sure of the price, I'm sorry. The idea was that the various authors would look at their original paper and then update it in the light of a few decades more of research.

There was a time when the individual lectures were published as pamphlets, but it may be that this got too expensive. Who knows, they may amalgamate the next batch of ten lectures in due course!

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Messages In This Thread
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture - by Renatus - 09-10-2013, 02:11 PM
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture - by Vindex - 09-11-2013, 06:02 PM
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture - by Caratacus - 09-18-2013, 11:22 AM
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture - by Vindex - 09-19-2013, 07:14 AM
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture - by Renatus - 09-19-2013, 11:11 AM
The Caerleon Annual Birthday Lecture - by Caballo - 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM