Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the Romans have parade armour?
The production of 'parade armour' is just one aspect of a larger phenomenon, that of the transformation of functional martial equipment into objects which no longer have a practical combat function, but are invested with a relevance as visual symbols of authority, rank or prowess.

It would be useful, in the absence of any clear cut Roman parade armour, to establish whether the Romans exhibited the general tendency to elaborate functional military equipment into forms which are purely symbolic. If this can be reasonably established then, I would submit, the case for Roman parade armour would be strengthened to a degree.

I would suggest that the elaborate but non-fuctional spearheads associated with the rank of beneficiarius form an example of a Roman tendency to elaborate functional military equipment into forms which are purely symbolic.
Martin

Fac me cocleario vomere!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ceremonial/Parade Armour Debate MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS 2 1,927 10-20-2011, 04:19 AM
Last Post: MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS
  Is there any weapon/armour the Romans invented ? Theodosius the Great 10 2,804 01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Ebusitanus
  Roman Parade Armour Anonymous 1 2,256 02-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Daniel S Peterson