Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please identify era and museum reference on Calcei
Quote:Crispianus;

Do you have a book you like on the creation of wooden
lasted footwear? As well as making the lasts also?

Geoffrey Ives

I found this one when I was doing some searches during construction: http://www.legiotricesima.org/campusMart...alcei.html

He gives the process for constructing the shoe lasts, though I'm still a bit puzzled how he shaves the upper portion down enough to make a mould of his foot. Honestly, I'm not a fan of this pattern, as it seems overly complicated. The wool lining really made me do a :???: and I was able to construct mine without using a shoe last or stitching the sole. Now I DID have a shoe anvil, but that was mostly for the hobnailery. Perhaps mine won't hold up as well, but I guess we'll see...that reminds me, I have to put the pics up on here somewhere - I posted them on the Facebook page, but haven't done the full picture set....

Anyhow, don't get discouraged - You always have to make a bit of allowance, even in re-enacting; Not all of us can make leather tents, and I'm sure MOST of us didn't mine and smelt their own ore for armour and sword projects. :wink: You've got some servicable cold-weather boots, so just wear them until you make something better. In fact, having something that's not *quite* accurate can open lines of conversation with the general public about why it's different and what they would have done differently...

Edit: Oh, THAT'S why the page looked familiar!! He's got a link on there for his caligae page, which is the page I was using when constructing my first pair of Roman footwear (They turned out like garbage, but that's my fault with using a pattern that didn't fit properly. His method woked, though it's a pain in the glutius maximus doing a tunnel-stitch on those soles. Still, didn't break my curved awl in the attempt, so that's something anyhow...)

-Quintus Claudius Britanicus
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.

Messages In This Thread
Please identify era and museum reference on Calcei - by Quintus Claudius Scaevola - 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM