Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please identify era and museum reference on Calcei
Hi Geoffrey I dont know of any specific books on roman shoe making though there is "Stepping Through Time" this is aimed more at identification of Archeological footware then actual construction. Possibly the reason why this is, is because the majority of Archeologists dont actually make shoes, though a lot of construction can be inferred from surviving shoes and leather work... but non the less a usefull reference book, in any case that would be my suggestion for the book to get, Oxbow books(US and UK shops) had it last time I Looked... otherwise it may be available on Amazon for about 35 UK Pounds.

Moving on I suggest you start with the simplest form of Vindolanda Fell boot, simply a leather upper with holes for laces the basic pattern will be usefull for several more complex types, for example "Croglin and "Alendale" which are otherwise the same basic construction.

[attachment=7816]Fellboottype1small1.jpg[/attachment]

For this I would suggest a pair of Wooden Lasts simply because its easier to make a good shoe with a last then without one, for many reasons which will become obvious when your making the shoes.... a last is an idealised shape of your foot with adjustments for toe room in this case. This could be made from a solid piece of green wood an untreated green oak 4x4inch (10x10cm) fence post for example and should be reasonably knot free, alternatively a local wood/Lumber yard(one which actually cuts up trees) should be able to supply you with suitable wood. Oak(hard and fairly heavy) or beech(a bit lighter and easier to work) even poplar,willow or similar( very easy to work very light) will work fine. But don't use Kiln dryed, air dryed or dry green wood is best as its easier to work...

this example is two piece and based on a roman original this is the last for the above boot.

[attachment=7817]Lasts001small.jpg[/attachment]

Thats all for now Best Regards
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
25 August 2013

Crispianus;

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry for taking so long to get back with you here on Roman Army Talk forum, having trouble with yahoo.com and internet problems here in the SW USA not sure why.

Thank you for all of your advice, especially the suggestion suggesting how I should get started.
I am very interested in the wooden last you have depicted there. Does it come apart in segments does the top peg to the lower to hold each piece?

Geoffrey Ives
Hi Geoffrey yes it comes apart although for most Roman shoes it doesn't need too, so it could be made as one piece or permanently joined and can be done simpler for your purposes.

Best Regards
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867