Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feathered crest - problem with glueing
Hi!

Some of you may have seen my red-feathered crest in Marle, now I have to solve a problem, and I ask your help.

The crest is made of iron with non-penetrating holes drilled in it. Problem is, I have nothing to glue feathers in. Pine resin is a no-no, tried it.

Do you have any idea?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Maybe beeswax? Heat it up and let it harden?
How about hollow plugs made of cork? Basically cork "bushings". If the hollow cork cylinder is a snug fit, and the hole for the feather quill is a force-fit, the crest feathers should be held pretty snugly. If the cork gets wet, it will swell up and make a tighter fit!

Good luck!
Cheryl Boeckmann
It is just a thought but how about fine Rawlplugs and Supaglue.
Brian Stobbs
Only viable solution (gonna try beesway though) seems to be Technocol or Superglue, since the holes are roughly 6-8 mms wide, and can think of nothing more authentic.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
I'd have thought that beeswax on it's own would be too soft but you could try a mix of beeswax and pine rosin to make 'cutler's resin' which has been used as an adhesive for centuries.

I use string rosin, mixed with beeswax in a 4/1 ratio (with a pinch of sand in it for extra grip) for binding blades into wooden or antler handles.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  glueing horsehair to iron jvrjenivs 23 4,586 06-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Medicus matt