Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strength of soldered buckles
In the attached documents, a special type of Roman buckles can be seen. Those buckles were not cast as a whole piece, but made from seperate brass or solid silver parts that were soldered to each other. To me this doesn`t look like a strong construction. Especially the peltate part made from (thin) sheet doesn`t look strong to me.

Are there any people that have experience with this kind of buckles and can tell me more abouth their strength? Can they handle the stress without difficulties or do they bend or even break easily?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(aka Niels)
Well, the greenish one seems to have held up for quite some time, eh? Wink

The basic answers would have to do with how well the item was soldered, and whether the metals were cleaned and good flux used, etc., etc. Silver solder is very strong, but the experience and skill of the person attaching the metal parts together may not be.

Some ancients may have soldered using the same metal, such as using brass rod/wire to solder brass things together, for example. I'm not sure about that, historically, but if you can get a good wire weld there, you should be good to go.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Well, the greenish one seems to have held up for quite some time, eh?
Sure, the joints held up for a long period of time. I believe that as long as you use good solder and work properly, the joints must be strong enough to stand the stress. Then they indeed don`t break easily

But I doubt the strength of the peltate part (see attached document for an example). It seems to be made of a thin piece of metal plate that is prone to deformations because of its thinness. Is there anybody that can tell me whether this type of buckle is prone to deformations like bending caused by stress?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(aka Niels)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soldered rivets Latinitas 18 3,686 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Peroni