Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman citizens in the auxiliary forces
Originally, the auxiliary forces were created for non-Roman citizens. Soldiers served for 25-30 years and then received Roman citizenship on discharge.
In comparison to the legions, the conditions were worse, as the salary was lower and soldiers didn't receive any land grant or cash bonus on retirement.

However, during the 1st and 2nd century A.D., an increasing number of Roman citizens began serving with the auxiliaries, when they could have perfectly qualified to serve in the legions. It made me wonder what the possible reasons could be:

- they could be sons of auxiliary soldiers who had grown up nearby the camp, and saw the unit as an extended family. Therefore, enlisting in the auxiliaries was like "staying at home".
- they could have ended up there not voluntarily, but were instead legionary applicants who had failed the "entrance requirements" and therefore sent to a less prestigious unit.
- discipline in the auxiliary forces could be more relaxed, with soldiers enjoying less rigorous training and more time off. (such consumptions have not been confirmed)

Has anyone ever made an in-depth study?
Quote:Has anyone ever made an in-depth study?
Not seen it myself, but Speidel senior has a paper on this subject and probably includes within it references to all relevant research to that point (often his way).

M. P. Speidel (1976): 'Citizen Cohorts in the Roman Imperial Army: New Data on the Cohorts Apula, Campana. and III Campestris,' Transactions of the American Philological Association 106, 339-48

You can access it here and you will see he includes a reference to Kraft on the first page. Others may be able to supply more up-to-date references.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
20 July 2013

Check out:

http://www.romanarmy.net/about.shtml

they work with people who research the Roman Auxillary
and with the Vindolanda Fortress Museum in Northumbria? UK

Would love to do an Auxillary impression as well as a Legion impression as
well.

Would love any titles on the Auxillary to add to my library.

Keep me posted.
How about his: citizen soldiers enlisted for an emergency (e.g. the Varus disaster) and who did not want to sign up for the full 16/25 year hitch.

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can citizens join Auxilia to be in cavalry? Mrbsct 2 2,156 05-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Marja
  Roman Citizens in the Cavalry Bryan 19 3,587 06-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Quintius Clavus
  Roman \'Special Forces\'? LvpvsRomanvs 19 6,478 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Last Post: ValentinianVictrix