Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with the facts.
Ok, I have a board game I'm trying to create and for it to be balanced I need three empires to go against each other. My problem is I want my game to be historically accurate so I need all three empires to exist in the same time period and if all three fought at one time or another then all the better. I want two of the empires to be Rome and Gaul. That narrows the time period down significantly I hope. Can anyone help?
Are you talking about independent Gaul, before Caesar? I think there are many options, depending upon how you want to set it up.

One option might be prior to the Punic Wars, when Carthage controlled part of Spain. With a bit of imagination, you could set up your board game so it would be possible for Carthage to come into contact with Gaul around the Pyrenees so you could have all three entities touch each other.

Similarly, you could have Massila as your third combatant, but you would probably need to make it a bit stronger. Say, consider it 'Greeks' and give it Sicily.

Another would be to consider the Illyrians or Germany a unified empire, but you might be stretching the truth a bit. (You might be stretching the truth with Gaul as a unified power, too, though.)

Another idea might be a bit later in time, like around 100 BC, and have Pontus in Asia Minor be the third party. Again, you might need to modify history some so the three could touch each other. You could do this by giving Illyria to Pontus, for example.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
I think I like the carthage idea. And yes, before gaul was annexed. It was a power in my opinion just didn't have leaders smart enough to unite when necessary. Could you elaborate on carthage and maybe add a few titles of what their military units were called? It would save me quite abit of research. Thank you.
The Macedonians or the Greek States might be a possibility. The Greeks fought and defeated the Gauls at a huge battle at Thermopylae in 279 B.C., the same year that Pyrrhus of Epirus was campaigning against Rome.

The Germans would be the other geographically logical choice. Gaius Marius fought and defeated the Cimbri and Teutones tribes in Gaul over several battles in the late 2nd Century B.C.
Unfortunately, I'm not a military guy so I can't help you with what their units were called. Someone here probably knows, though.

[Image: carthage-map.gif]

Carthage's influence was supposed to stop at that river (can't remember the name) you see on the map. Rome's sphere of influence was on the other side. You can leave it like it was historically, or modify it a bit so Rome, Gaul and Carthage meet somewhere around that area.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com