• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help chosing which Caligae Castleford or Mainz Ptn
26 July 2013

Not sure which periods each are from
if I understand correctly Mainz
came first before the Castleford's
is that correct?

From which period are each in use.
Is it strictly the Flavian Period or latter?

What is acceptable in the USA and the European Reenactor Association
which is used more often.

If I like the Castleford's will I be sent home if I am the only one wearing them?
http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id454.html

DSC's Castleford and Mainz Caligae, best 1st century Caligae on the market. Both are acceptable for the whole 1st, and early 2nd century.

For 2nd-3rd century I reccomend the Qasr Caligae or the Londinium Calcei (both made by DSC, not sure where to get them).

For post 250 go for the Dura Europos Boots. SOTW will soon offer them and I think 1-2 other places already offer a pair made by DSC.

For 4th-5th century I reccomend Ramshaw, Deurne, or Zwammerdam type, Vindolanda are also acceptable. Get them from medeivaldesign.
Thank You Evan;

Useful advice I will be sure to make note of that.

Geoffrey Ives
Quote:DSC's Castleford and Mainz Caligae, best 1st century Caligae on the market. Both are acceptable for the whole 1st, and early 2nd century.
That´s a bold statement. I do not agree. Martin Moser´s shoes are way better, also Sarah Juniper´s or Meister Knieriem´s. I also think that the AER Caligae are indeed better, as the e.g. the straps on the DSC ones are way to wide in comparison to the originals etc.... , whereas the DSC shoes are way cheaper. So, I think each of the products has its strengths and weaknesses.

=> Also, I think this should be in the marketplace section...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I have a pair of DSC Castlefords, they are good and certainly light years ahead of Deepeekas caligae. My only complaint is that the insole may have to be replaced by thicker leather. This is an easy fix though, thought I solved with 8-9oz leather
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Also, the Mainz are I believe dated to Republic times I want to say. The leather straps on the Mainz are much thicker than the original, the Castlefords are more accurate to the original, although not perfect
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:Also, the Mainz are I believe dated to Republic times I want to say.
The earliest military base at Mainz was Augustan and the famous caligae finds, published by Lindenschmit in the 19th century, were undated (unsurprisingly), so Augustan onwards. The Castleford finds were early Flavian, probably around AD72. So, archaeologically, the two finds could even be contemporary, although obviously they need not be :-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Castleford style boots Martin Moser 1 2,071 07-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Castleford Caliga Martin Moser 10 3,201 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser