Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman mosaic
This is an image from someone in Syria of a mosaic which I assume is 5th/6th century from the style of it (I'm trying to find the date). What made it stand out for me was the amount of detail on the soldiers uniforms, anyone seen this one before?

[attachment=7611]syriamosaic.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
If I had to bet money on it, I'd have to say it looks later. More like 7th.
This is a marvelous finding,thanks Confusedhock: :woot: !

Personally Ive never seen this one before.And It is clear to me that much more frescoes and mosaics are dispersed over the passed Roman world which would be of much use to anyone who deals with late antiquity,but unfortunately they are nowhere to be found or published although they exist Confusedad: .

I would guess they are 6th-7th century because of some typical details of equipment in this era.
That sideways guy, he don't look so good. Confusedad:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm pretty sure he's just taking a nap. Although I'm a little concerned about the ketchup all over the floor, we were supposed to have hot dogs tonight and Tiberius gets cranky when there's no ketchup.

In all seriousness, what's the idea on the dating? I think its later because they're wearing Bras, and I'm sure those weren't introduced until at least the late 6th century.
It is a depiction of the slaying of Goliath by David. David has severed the head of Goliath and fixed it in on a spear. Over David it is written "David victor", over the soldier it writes "Goliath fixed (on a spear)", it is written in regard with the head, and under the headless body it writes "Goliath fallen". The writings on the right I cannot make out in this analysis.
Macedon
Forum rules
George C. K.
῾Ηρακλῆος γὰρ ἀνικήτου γένος ἐστέ
Interesting mosaic, they are great resources for clothing, colors and designs imo. The mosaic does look later, but the tunic with the patches is certainly still very 5th century in look.
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
I never knew David was a Late Roman! That's what's so great about this forum: always learning new stuff. :grin:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:In all seriousness, what's the idea on the dating? I think its later because they're wearing Bras, and I'm sure those weren't introduced until at least the late 6th century.

Wearing Bras Smile ...interesting expression,myself I was unsure what word use for it.But you are right.Such torso bondage is shown in more artistic representations who were always dated no earlier then 6th century.Although soldiers and women's tunics have resemblance with new decorative style in clothing that emerged by early 6th century.
Goliath boots are of the type which was in use even considerably earlier than in 6th.century,but both David and Goliath have hairstyle which was clearly fashionable by sixth century and which one could compare with mosaics from, for example,kissufim in Israel(dated to 576-578),and its overall expression and certain disproportion in shape with other survived 6th-7th century Byzantine art.
Also it seems according to relatively numerous findings that David and Goliath theme vere especially popular at the turn of 6/7th century(although being popular in Byzantine world even after).

So myself I would dated it roughly between 550-630,with 550-600 being more likely because since 603 syria was for many decades victim of destructive warfare and lost to the Roman state completely by 640,so I guess for the most of the period 603-630 there was little time and effort to produce such high quality mosaic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I've seen a news story about this mosaic, has'nt it gone missing, presumed stolen?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I'm not sure now, it is possible that the mosaic has come to light as the result of illegal excavations. The took the portable stuff but left the floor. The original story is on the Syrian Cultural Ministry website http://www.dgam.gov.sy/index.php?d=239&id=917
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact that the infantryman with the shield and spear, and the beheaded one are both wearing red tunics with long red sleeves. Perhaps the Legionarii still retained the red tunic after all?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
I would argue that the color was just a popular one, it was affordable and looked nice, it goes well with most other colors.
That would be correct if it were not for the case that most Late Roman artworks appear to show troops in white tunics, I can only think of one tomb painting from the Late Roman period that shows an infantryman in a red tunic.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
But that statement contradicts your original statement that red continued as the color of a legionnaire's tunic. It only further validates my statement that red was an optional color and may have been a popular choice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Extraordinary Late Roman mosaic and villa discovered beneath Rutland field (UK) Robert Vermaat 0 242 11-25-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat