Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sponsorship of Re-Enactment Groups
The borrower is slave to the lender.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
While reading Nova Roma's "statement", I couldn't help but infer that Nova Roma's doing everyone a favor by condescending themselves to help out the poor legions. This may not be the way that they intended that it to come off as, but I couldn't help reading it that way.

Needless to say, cooperation among Roman re-enactors (military or not) should always be welcome (there's what, only 500 in the US?). However, the last thing that I want to see is reenactment turned into a business. Legions ought to be careful moving forward.

Regards,

Tyler
Tyler

Undergrad student majoring in Social Studies Education with a specialty in world history.

"conare levissimus videri, hostes enimfortasse instrumentis indigeant"
(Try to look unimportant-the enemy might be low on ammunition).
It might be of assistance to this thread if I could clarify a few points, having been in Nova Roma (aka NR) since 2004, and being currently in its Senate (Board of Directors). It will be by necessity a "warts and all" synopsis. It is my personal assessment, and others in Nova Roma, or more accurately former members would likely disagree Smile Oh well - they are former members <lol>.

Nova Roma has had an internal turbulent history since it was first founded. Some 15 years on it is still defining itself. Originally it was founded to provide the structure necessary for the recreation of the Roman religion. The religio publica, or state religion, couldn't really be re-created without the structure in place it once served. It also, as has been mentioned correctly, was founded within the concept of being a micronation.

To save you a further and detailed and likely boring summation of its ups, downs, stagnation, revival, tumult <lol> I can simply say Nova Roma has grown from its original concept and purpose over the years. It now takes a "big tent" approach, welcoming all and the micronation concept has been dropped (something I am glad of personally, but naturally it still has some mourning its loss from the organization's policy - namely at least one of its founders), and history buffs, reenactors, classicists, Latinists and the mildly curious, are all welcome.

An internal "crisis" (they used to come as frequently as dinnertime in NR at one stage) in 2010 led to a large chunk of the former majority faction all packing their bags and leaving. In short Nova Roma will always have its internal tumultuous events, though we have instituted various changes in the by-laws to ensure we don't get stuck in the sort of internal political stand-offs that paralyzed NR and its Senate prior to the 2010 departures. As one of the consuls (co-presidents) for last year I spent my time cleaning up the Senate's internal rules and processes to prevent further eruptions. Heavy emphasis was placed on returning sanity to the management of its corporate compliance requirements, as former members (often outside of the USA / North America) didn't attach a lot of regard to the need to balance the by-laws so they fitted seamlessly with state law requirements for a non-profit.

This year's consul is concentrating on continuing the repairs, clean-up and also reforging earlier links that had existed with the reenactment community. In terms of NR's finances we recently recovered access to the funds, the former faction having let signatures lapse and thus we had to spend months dealing with NR's bank bureaucracy trying to reestablish control over the accounts. Given the fact that NR has spent a considerable period of its 15 years in internal disputes, our funds are in pretty healthy shape, but we still have to balance the budget and are close to doing so. At that point when hopefully money can be saved instead of being spent, the budget for reenactment sponsorship can grow larger. The amount we can offer now maybe limited, but we have decided that rather than wait for increased revenues, it is more important to act now and try to repair our former links. It is a gesture financially, so treasury wagons will not arrive to a sponsored legion (sadly).

Though there were a few reenactors in the former faction, there was indeed a rather snobby huffing and puffing that went on when reenactment was mentioned to some of them. Many of us despaired of this short sighted, elitist and ridiculous approach. So that was without question present and indeed it extended to any aspect of suggested improvement, change or expansion. We are just taking teetering steps again to rebuilding links with the reenactment community. Why? Because it is a huge part of the exploration of Roman history. It is visual, real and tangible, educational, enjoyable and shockingly fun (shocking to some of the rigid elitists that either left voluntarily or were encouraged to leave or a couple outright ejected). Hence the new Senatus consultum. This is a first step.

Within Nova Roma is a special interest group called the Sodalitas Militarium. It isn't overly active and your board here puts it to shame, but there are some reenactors there with a lot of experience who know the right questions to ask of applicants for sponsorship. That is the mechanism that has handled sponsorship requests before and funnels them through to NR's Senate for approval of funding. We would like to build minimum standards in to policy, but you and others are the experts, so any suggestions you can make as to an existing checklist of standards that we could look at and reference would be very gratefully received.

The issue of influence has legitimately been raised in this thread, so let me address it. Nova Roma would simply ask for exposure at events held by a sponsored legion. We do NOT want to poke around in its internal business, but we would ask at least one member of the legion become a member of Nova Roma. We are making changes internally to give recognition within Nova Roma to those legion members who wish to act as liaisons between NR and their sponsored legion. Giving us a heads up of events planned means we can try to encourage local members to attend, support and enjoy them. That's it basically. There is no small print. No hidden motivations. Reenactment events foster an interest in Roman matters in general and obviously Nova Roma would like to reestablish its former presence on such occasions.

Now - finally the religious side. Nova Roma welcomes ALL. Yes, in the past it has suffered from "religious" elitist sneering and some rather oddly hostile reactions to those not cleaving to the ancient Roman Religion. There are many adherents of the RR (religio romana) that do firmly believe and yet take an inclusive approach. We have had all flavors of religion in higher office at one time or another, RR, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, atheist, agnostic, couldn't care less to form an opinion on even whether they are agnostic, Buddhist... and probably a few more we never knew about. A person's personal religious belief is of no concern to NR. The vocal minority of advocates about Nova Roma for only RR adherents left in 2010/2011. Steps have been taken to ensure they remain outside of Nova Roma, permanently.

So that's it. The offer is there, the potential is there to build a bigger, better and lasting relationship with those legions who wish to. Some monumental mess-ups in relation to NR's approach to reenacting are being corrected and we would welcome as I said before, any helpful suggestions regarding instituting standards which are generally accepted in the reenacting community.

CnIC
@Manlius
Quote:(there's what, only 500 in the US?).
Best estimate as of about 5 years ago is more like 300 Romans in North America.

I am one of the Christians who was told in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome in Nova Roma solely because of my being a Christian. I'm glad to see that is no longer the prevailing attitude in NR. There are few of us in this hobby, and practicing what one Centurio calls "the politics of exclusion" is not productive. I applaud the decision to have what I'd consider a healthier attitude towards a person's real-life beliefs.

When I put on a tunic and the other gear, I know full well that I am not a "real Roman". Somehow, we forget that sometimes. Too many people in the Romano-Celtic reenactment world can't get past the "I'm a Celt, therefore I hate Romans" or "I'm a Roman, I hate the filthy barbarians" pretend attitude, and allow the play-acting role to overlap the real world. Sadly, some may never realize that the friendships that could be formed are damaged by the lack of distinction between reenacting and reality.

The worst of it is this, imho, the loss isn't just for those who can't forgive, or those who hold unproductive separatist, mindsets: we all lose when we unravel the weave of the reenactment tapestry. The green yarn needs the blue, and the blue the yellow, so to speak to make the overall image that the outside world sees. Those outside the groups see the squabbling, ugly behavior, and say to themselves, "Why would I want to join them? I have strife already," And our groups don't grow much; we grow older and some grow bitter. Sad. Cry

While Nova Roma (at the time I investigated it) was mostly a cerebral exercise rather than a down in the trenches organization, in its heyday it had double the membership of the collective North American Roman/Celt reenactment community. Too bad we didn't come to common ground then. Perhaps we can now. I'm willing, as I've said to the local members on this forum. I sincerely hope others are, too.

In lapide non scripta futurum.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
In north America there are probably between 300 and 500 if you count those who don't live near event locations and haven't attended one recently due to the economy and also the camp followers wife girlfriends and children who attend as Romans.
I think the key to increasing numbers over the long term is educational visits to schools and Roman Legion summer camps or summer day camp visits in members local areas. The day camp David did is an example: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/7-off-topic...-camp.html Another Texas reeactor involved in programs for kids is: http://www.romanarmytalk.com/23-events/3...tml#340668 Many units have done educational school visits and there have been some Roman summer camps and other museum based programs in Europe. School visits and day camp programs are relatively in expensive to put on while summer camps would probably have to involve a good deal of financing including advertising. Supporting these educational programs might fall within the interest for sponsorship by Nova Roma. A summer camp program
requires a great deal of logistical support and personnel and would be far easier to start up if piggybacked on an existing summer camp or reenactment facility. Unfortunately running during spring break program would be difficult due to the different spring break dates that school systems use although running it over a 30 day period would likely catch most dates. Think of the possibilities: A whole Century or two in the field and perhaps cavalry even if their Gladii drag the ground a bit. Funding for actual gear rather than cardboard substitutes would be nice too.
[attachment=7630]romans1_2013-07-21.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
I think the current estimate is about 150-200 active Romans, Celts, Germanic Tribes, etc, I've heard that from several guys.

@Julius Caesar.

Welcome to Romanarmytalk. As was mentioned, bad relations with Nova Roman have probably had heavy influence on the opinions here. The fact that Nova Roma is indeed not only open to, but changing its policy, towards re-enactment, is inviting to the community. I'm glad to see Nova Roma has resolved many of its former issues as well.

If its any help, Matt Amt's Legio XX guide is the standard for almost the entire Re-enactment community. I've been working on setting up standards for Late Roman re-enacting as well.
@ Demetrius

Well on behalf of Nova Roma, I apologize for the negative reception you got.

I am not sure if it was a citizen/member who told you that or a magistrate (I could believe it of the latter, for that thinking pervaded NR in the past) but regardless it is an all too familiar story. Your experience is sad, and it was indefensible then and now. The events of 2010 had been preceded by what is internally described as a "civil war", though tumult would be a better description, where the then majority faction tried to use religion as a weapon. That sort of nonsense has been stopped. The majority on the Board of Directors, in fact probably 100% of the current Board, would not tolerate that sort of behavior now. I implemented procedures last year to ensure that if the group they founded after they exited NR falls flat on its face, that we don't see a return of those people. Those measures are going to be further strengthened this year.

The Roman interest community, civil and reenactment is indeed small in North America. Too small to see time, energy and enthusiasm squandered and wasted by the sort of culture that pervaded NR for years. NR itself has to take the Big Tent approach or whither away to irrelevance. Balancing it out so no one ends up feeling short changed is tricky, but it can be done and is being done and will continue to be done. As censor for this year and the next I would not hesitate to invoke internal disciplinary measures to deal with that sort of behavior you encountered. Of course I can't guarantee some member won't have an isolated outburst, but it will be short lived if it breaches internal posting standards. The point is that attitude is NOT part of the group think in the Board or in those people's minds who hold leadership positions.

No one should be vilified for their personal religious beliefs, period. No qualifiers. It is unacceptable.

Caesar
@ Flavius Aetius

Thanks. I had read Matt's guide and your confirmation it is widely accepted means we don't have to stumble around trying to re-invent the wheel. I will suggest we work that into the process and for late Roman reenacting if you wouldn't mind sending me your standards when done that would be a great help too.

CnIC
It's great to hear about that Julius.

My Late Roman Guide is already up, but its still a WIP. I'm adding to it for th enext update, I hope to put some designs for Late Roman Shoes on it, along with more stuff that is acceptable and more stuff to avoid.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Achtung, re-enactment groups in Germany! mcbishop 14 3,044 02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Re-Enactment Groups in Australia? Catvs Glavcvs Draconis 6 2,377 05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Catvs Glavcvs Draconis
  Late Republican Re-Enactment groups + handspun fibre query Helena Pictoria 33 6,339 06-28-2005, 01:03 AM
Last Post: Crispvs