Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of Strings of Leather Shield Cover
I am working on a Roman march diorama. Most legionaries are wearing their paenula. See picture attached. I also want to show some legionaries carrying their paenula, and I had seen a picture somewhere that the paenula was carried by folding it and binding it to the leather cover by using the strings that were attached to the outside of the leather cover.

[attachment=7631]IMG_3813.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tom
I probably need to explain my question in a desperate attempt to gain insight and receive a reply. My question: What is the use of the strings on the leather cover for shields? I found one reference (in a reenactment book) that explains the use of these strings as a means to roll up and fix the shield cover itself when not in use. Other possible use: The strings could be used to fix a paenula on the shield cover while the shield is carried. Would this make sense or is there any reference or source to support this hypothesis?

For clarity, I attach three pictures, two of which are take from "Römische Schilde" (Roman Shields) by Ansgar Nabbefield (in German), the most comprehensive book on Roman shields I have come across so far. The remains of the shield cover (shown as photograph and as drawing) are from Windisch

You need to double-click on the images for details.

[attachment=7644]IMG_5596.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7645]IMG_5595.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=7646]IMG_5594.JPG[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tom
As far as I know the purpose of those strings is not known. I used to think they are just decorative. The 2 functions you mention are hypotheses, not supported by any archaeological or other evidence. Most reenactors I know put their cloak in the big bag on the furca, what we now refer to as a mantica, but that is also an educated guess...
a.k.a. Sebastiaan. "Timeo Danaos et doughnuts edentes" ;-)
It is conjectural, but the

Quote:use of these strings as a means to roll up and fix the shield cover itself when not in use.

seems to be the current working hypothesis, afaik.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
It makes sense. But not everything Romans did makes sense to us, and not everything that makes sense to us is what they did. I tend to believe that the strings were used to tie the cover into a neat bundle when it was not on the scutum,

When the shield cover was on the scutum, those strings could be used to tie something else on, but that's sort of problematic if the cover comes off with the paenula tied to it. Then what? I don't know.

I doubt many would criticize too harshly if some reenactor had his paenula tied up on his scutum. Instead, they'd probably be looking at the work done on the tabula, the stitching of the boss cover, etc. Great work on the one shown below, very nicely done.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
If you look on the picture "Tafel 94" - you need to double-click - then you will note that one of the strings is not a string but rather a belt with holes so that you could fix things even with various sizes onto tlhe shield cover. Of course, this is only a hypothesis and I do not have any source confirming this use, just the belt like string which suggests that something might be fixed onto the shield during the march.
Tom
Demetrius comments that it would be difficult if a paenula is fixed to the shield cover and you then take the shield cover off. I can understand that. But then I wonder how often the shield cover would really be taken off during a long march. Would they take off the cover upon arrival in the camp? Why should they? I do not know. Is it possible that the shield cover would cover the shield during the whole march, during day and night, without being taken off. And if so, the problem of having something fixed to the cover when the cover is taken off really becomes irrelevant. This is all speculation, only based on the belt-like string which simply looks like being designed for fixing things on the shield cover (or for fixing the cover when you roll it up - but how often would you do that)....
Tom

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dura-Europos shield cover Dan Diffendale 19 8,755 06-15-2017, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Research on shield cover aelius colus strabo 23 6,058 12-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Tim Edwards
  Shield cover depicted on monument?? Peroni 30 5,660 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Crispvs