Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book: RomansClothingFromTheRomanEraInNorthWEur
31 July 2013

Has anyone seen this title yet? Was searching Amazon.com
and this title popped up. Is the scale armor depicted by the
man wearing the Centurion gear (on the front cover of the book)
from armamentaria.com?
The cost seems to be $74.50 have to wait until I can afford it?
What do you think about the book if you have seen it? Can a
Roman reenactor learn from these examples of kit?
How did the book help you? What sort of useful information
is contained within?

Romans Clothing From The Roman Era In North West Europe
(English and Dutch Edition)
by P. van DerHeiiden
Published Vantilt/fragma 20 February 2013

ISBN-13: 978-9081450041
It is an faboulous book certenly worth the money. Most reanactors modeled for this book ( even horses)
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Agrimensor;

That is fantastic! I look forward to trying to find a copy!

Geoffrey Ives
The book is a photographic 'essay'. It contains around 150 pages of highly detailed and very sharp photographs in 'octavo' format. This means that several head-and-shoulder pictures are actually life-sized. The book is not just concerned with the Roman military, as it also has people in civilian dress, slaves, wives, sons, daughters, adults, children, tradesmen - you name it, they are here. Although not a re-enactor myself, I can appreciate the work that has gone in to creating these costumes and equipment. The detail is impressive. "Ordinary" Roman citizens are shown wearing iron rings, while the aristocrats have gold rings - just one example.

The book has two introductions, one by the editor of "Ancient Warfare" magazine, Jasper Oorthuis (I think he also fronts a web-site about Roman Army discussions, or some such, :-)). One introduction is concerned with the sources of information on which these re-enactors' gear is based and the other looks at how reliable these sources of information are. Each picture has a small description at the back. This is perhaps the one weak point in the book as these notes don't tell you very much really.

It's a hefty sum to have to shell-out, I agree, but I think it's well-worth the outlay. I've got several books on my shelves of a similar subject matter (published both in the UK and France) and this new one is by far the best. Ask Santa for it this Saturnalia!

Mike Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
Thanks for the pointer! I just found it on amazon-de at a remarkably affordable price, and since I finally talked my family into doing the Roman thing I may get some use out of it.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
The centurio on the cover is Marc Sanders of the Leg X Gemina/gemina project from the Netherlands. All photo's for this book were made during the Romeinenfestival in Nijmegen in 2010 and during a photoshoot a year later. It shows re-enactors from
the RMRS, COH I BAT, Corbvlo, ALA I BAT, Gemina, Roemercohorte Opladen, Corpvs Equitum Leg X equistris, Leg XI CPF, Fetio, Pax Romana, Leg XV pr, Familia gladiatoria pannonnica and others (I'm sure I forget somebody)
ALA I BATAVORUM