Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drinking Horns?
I was wondering if there was any evidence for Roman Drinking horns at all?
Damian Laurence Zamprogno
Google tells me this fresco is from early 1st century Stabiae:
[Image: female_couch.jpg]
This one is from Pompeii:
[Image: v0_master.jpg]

Based upon how it is portrayed in art, I wonder if they were more for feasting and not a utilitarian type of item. Kind of like our 'good china' that we bring out for special guests. Although they could have come in handy for someone travelling, I assume.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Lots of depictions in the Pompeii exhibition (also made in glass) - and also used to drink from the narrow end , as shown above. Looks a fun drinking game!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Wow thank you both! I did a search but only got generic product pages and unhelpful information. How about drinking horns made from actual horn (In vein of the stereotypical warrior/viking vessel)
Just a caution, though. Do NOT use cow horn for hot beverages like tea or coffee. The flavor of the horn is pretty overpowering. Voice of experience. :|
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Noted, I'm currently making some of my own horns and I've 'cured' them twice to get rid of the somewhat...interesting smell and after about 3 baths and alot of scrubbing they seem to be working well, the last phase is to fill the horn with warm beer/ale and let it cool over a day or so to seep in. While there are a lot fo dark age groups around here in furthering my roman impression I was eager to know if there were roman designs I could pull from.
I've never heard of a surviving horn one- glass , yes.[Image: 01178189_004.JPG]

Try a search on rhyton- the Greek name for these. Lots of lovely stuff!

This ones at the Hermitage Museum.
[Image: e3_5_11a_central_asia.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
That's a gorgeous horn, Caballo. It pretty much has to be two pieces, though, fastened together. Amazing work, nevertheless. I'm often stunned by the quality of ancient art/craft.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horns: corna, buccinae and the like andersao 9 2,714 05-20-2007, 12:21 AM
Last Post: andersao